Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: restricting forest object to smaller areas  (Read 3455 times)

PJ4739

restricting forest object to smaller areas
« on: December 07, 2014, 08:58:34 PM »
I'm trying to make these pavers with grass inside them for use in a driveway.
Can someone help me to figure out how to contain the grass within the cells more accurately.
I tried making rectangle, (splines), in each cell and using those for areas but the grass goes so far outside the rectangles and I don't know how to refine it.
Thank You

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: restricting forest object to smaller areas
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 08:53:51 AM »
Please, check the Boundary Checking section in the documentation. It describes how to solve this problem when using large grass patches.
Alternatively you can use smaller patches, as the "Detail" Forest presets.

Note: the "Edge" mode is new in Forest Pro 4.3, and by now available only in the beta.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

PJ4739

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 12:53:10 AM »
Carlos,
Since I'm not seeing anything in Forest lite about "detail presets", am I correct in assuming that this is a Forest Pro feature only?

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 09:16:36 AM »
No, Lite version also include them. For each preset, we include "Large" and "Detail" versions, using patches of grass and separated elements respectively (see image).
Please note that "Detail" version should be used only for small areas, because it may generate a huge number of items when applied on large areas.

Also it's possible to combine both types, using smaller clumps of grass only near the perimeter. You can see how to use this technique in the Grass Edges tutorial .

In the future, once "Edge" mode is widely used, probably we'll include only "Large" presets in our libraries.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software