Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Animated Trees...!?  (Read 3655 times)

landrvr1

Animated Trees...!?
« on: August 03, 2012, 05:22:12 PM »
Been having fun testing out Forest Pack Lite, but must say I'm completely bewildered as to how I'd get the trees to be animated with wind effects.  Is this a feature in Pro only?
Tnx

landrvr1

Re: Animated Trees...!?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 05:28:01 PM »
Just checked the Feature List comparison chart and it looks like animation is supported in Lite.

Also, the trees I'm trying to animate are following a spline, from the Library (birch), with Custom Object checked.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 07:16:14 PM »
Forest doesn't animate the trees directly. It randomizes the animation samples of the custom objects.

You can find a discussion about this issue here: http://www.itoosoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=1140.0

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

landrvr1

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
Hmm.  Okay, thanks.

So I take it that I'd use one of their trees, then select that as my custom object in FP?

How does the rotation setting in FP affect the wind direction?  lol.  If I use a single tree and the wind is coming from the West, but my trees are randomly rotated....?

yuv

• Administrator
  • iToo Software - CEO
    • Itoo Software
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 11:41:01 PM »
Yes, if you apply random rotation the trees would be rotated with its animation, this is not the desired effect for this case.

The solution is to create several models of trees with the desired variation and wind and scatter all them. Obviously this will occupy more memory, so take care of the number of tree and animation samples for avoid slowing too much the render.
Daniel Quintero
Itoo Software
www.itoosoft.com
daniel@itoosoft.com