Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: As soon as I try to place a tree with Forest Lite 3ds max 2013 shuts down  (Read 4771 times)

mfear12345

Just downloaded HQ plants, HQ Grass and Forest pack lite. As soon as I try to place a tree using Forest Pack, after having selected it from the library etc, 3ds max 2013 just shuts down. Application error - "A software problem has caused 3ds max design to close unexpectadly"

Happens every time, really annoying!!!

I'm mostly looking at doing a small lawn with grass as proxies but not sure if I can scatter them with Forest Pack??

Is this a software compatibility issue, or hardware problem, any ideas???

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software

It seems a software issue, but we must identify what is the problem exactly. What renderer do you use: Mental Ray, VRay or other ?

Please, do this:

- Send us the minidump file that Max generates after crashing. You can get it clicking "View report details->View report contents", checking the path of the "3dsmax_minidump.dmp" file and making a copy of it, before closing the 3ds Max Error Report window.

Try these tests and tell me the result:

- Instead selecting the Library item from the Creation window, create a default Forest object, go to the Modify panel and open the library browser from it.
- Download the scene of the Realistic Grass tutorial, and try to render it.

Replying to your question: yes, Forest can scatter both meshes and proxies. But usually it is not necessary to use proxies, because internally all objects are converted to native instances of the render engine.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

mfear12345

Hi thanks for the advice but I've managed to sort it out. The problem seemed to come from the hq plants library and the hq grass library not being linked. After creating a blank forest object and then trying to add a tree after it came up with the window saying find the installation path and once linked there has been no problems. Might be worth bearing in mind that if you try and add a tree straight off by selecting from the library and then distributing over a surface it doesn't seem to give you the option to link the installation path and find the library, it just crashes.... Not sure if anyone else has had this problem....

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
We included the library browser from the Creation window as a new feature of v3.9.2. Probably it fails under specific conditions if HQ Catalog is not initialized, although the problem has not been reported until now.

We will test it here, and will fix the problem for the next patch.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

dmhokie

I'm having the same problem with crashing.  I followed your steps but I'm stuck trying to set the installation path.  Any folder I pick in my iToo Software system folder it comes up with the error "the selected directory doesn't contain ____ library."  Am I trying to link the wrong folder or something?  Where are the libraries located?

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
You must select the folder where you have decompressed the HQ libraries (they come in a rar file). The following tutorial shows the process:

http://www.itoosoft.com/forestpack/tutorials/tutorial_library_addon.php

Also be sure you are using the right libraries, as described here:

http://www.itoosoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=1156.0

On the other side, we can confirm the crash issue is due to use the Library Browser from the Creation window, instead from the Modify Panel. This problem has no relation with the above issue, and will we fixed on the next update.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software