Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Shadows for custom objects  (Read 3018 times)

jona

Shadows for custom objects
« on: July 26, 2011, 04:18:31 AM »
If I am using a custom object (mesh) for a  field of grass.  what is the proper procedure to get shadows correct on the grass from each other. DO I still have to create H and V shadow maps? If so, is there a tutorial on the best practice for that. I think my field of grass looks flat because of shadows missing. I have looked at the doc but I think that applies more to planar objects?

Or is it necessary anyway because forest inevitably uses planes for mesh objects a certain distance from the camera?

If so..  how do I do it correctly?

yuv

• Administrator
  • iToo Software - CEO
    • Itoo Software
Re: Shadows for custom objects
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 08:34:45 AM »
For custom objects you don't should use shadow planes or xshadow plugin, as they intended only for fake the shadows with billboards trees. When you use a custom object, you will have a full geometry that can cast and receive shadows as any other object.

Please check that you are using standard shadows in your lights and your forest objects are enable to cast shadows. If you can't solve it please give us more details your light and shadow settings to see the issue.
Daniel Quintero
Itoo Software
www.itoosoft.com
daniel@itoosoft.com

jona

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 01:33:50 AM »
ok.. so fake shadows and prevent self shadow are unnecessary. yes?

Also.. by "standard shadows" you mean raytraced shadows? I am using MR_SUN & MR_SKY in a daylight setup.  I have attached the sun to the light selection in forest.

It says "raytraced shadows need forest material to render" . But I have no shadow maps for the custom object in the forest material. That's still ok then?

Thanks! 

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 08:32:35 PM »

ok.. so fake shadows and prevent self shadow are unnecessary. yes?

That's it, you don't need to follow any special procedure using 3D objects. All the options of the 'Shadows' rollout are only for billboards.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software