Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Edge Boundary Checking not consistent  (Read 1606 times)

Tom_1028

Edge Boundary Checking not consistent
« on: November 03, 2022, 03:14:51 AM »
Hi,

I try to scatter some mulch on a basic plane using the 'Bark Natural Dark' preset.

I face the 'Error on material override' issue as already described here: https://forum.itoosoft.com/forest-pro-(*)/just-upgraded-to-fp8-error-on-material-override/

And additionally I have two other issues:

1)  The mulch doesn't look like the preset thumbnail.
     Instead it's rendered with two contrasted colors (look at the attached screenshot)

2) I want nice cut boundaries: so I ticked Boundary Checking > Edge, and also Material > Optimize Materials, but the Boundary Checking is not consistent: it works correctly on some patches, but not on all of them.

I didn't have these issues with previous of Forest Pack Pro.

Thank you in advance for your help, much appreciated.

* 3ds Max 2022.3.6 Security Fix (24.0 - 24.3.6.3521)
* Corona 8 Hotfix 2

BD1347

Re: Edge Boundary Checking not consistent
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 08:49:40 AM »
There's definitely something going on with boundary checking. It works fine in the previous version. Now in the same scene with the same edge boundary setting it doesn't work.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 09:36:32 AM »
HI,

Please accept our apologies, there seems to be an issue with the Boundary Checking modes. We're looking into it and we hope to release an update to fix it as soon as possible.

Best,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Tom_1028

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 08:58:45 AM »
Hi,

Did you have a chance to look into my issue?

Your support is appreciated.

RealViz

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 07:52:05 AM »
Confirming the error. It also appears. Only sometimes....

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2022, 12:05:50 PM »
There is a bug in FP 8.0.4 which causes problems with Edge Mode, Falloff and other features which require to compute distance to the spline.
We are working on the reported issues, and we'll release a patch soon.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, until the patch is released there is no workaround for this problem except to temporarily downgrade to Forest 7.

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Tom_1028

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2022, 12:57:42 PM »
No problem Paul,
Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2022, 01:15:09 PM »
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Tom_1028

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2022, 05:00:57 AM »
Fantastic.
Thanks a lot guys  :)

AVARCH

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 05:00:55 PM »
Fixed in Forest Pack 8.0.5.

I'm sorry but is the edge mode broken again in 806? I'm trying to grow grass on these stairs (attachment) and it just keeps clipping outside the area.
Just for understanding, isn't the edge mode supposed to cut the elements where the boundaries of the designated surface is, regardless of the size of the scattered element?
I was able to fix it a little bit by falloff scale, so the grass patches grow smaller near the edges. But that's not perfect, as you can see.

Is edge mode still broken?
I'm using 3dsmax vray for this. There's also a screenshot of my settings.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2022, 09:08:15 AM »
Hi,

From the provided screenshot it looks like, the edges“overlap” each other (are in the same "XY position" for two different “planes”). Adding just a little “gap” between these should help. If the problem persists, please feel free to send us your scene (ideally simplified and containing just this problematic object(s)) to helpdesk@itoosoft.com to check it here. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

AVARCH

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2022, 11:03:04 AM »
You were right, the little gaps helped. This is the closest I can get before the edge gets confused. The only weird thing is that the edge still gets a little confused when further away from the camera, so I manually had to make bigger gaps per distance.

It's not perfect, maybe I offset the grass so the gaps are in the back of the steps and not in front. I can live with that. Thanks for your quick reply.

*edit* now I noticed the edge is straight, but some elements are still clipping through but they are pitch black. I suggest forest pack is supposed to hide these parts, but instead of hiding, it just renders them black. How would you solve this problem?

I will send you the scene with the isolated issue. You could post the solution here in case others have the same problem.

*edit2* So the solution was to go to Vray settings - Global switches and increase the Max transparency levels.
It's better described here:
https://forum.itoosoft.com/faq/some-key-notes-about-areas-gtboundary-checking-gtedge-mode/
Why I'm getting some render artefacts while using the Edge mode? What should i do to avoid it?

In the case of very high density scatters (like dense grass), many overlapping objects could be generated and V-Ray may exceed its default transparency limit (which can cause render artifacts). To fix it:

a) Use lower density values, increasing Distribution Map->Density X/Y Size. (in many cases this also will improve the render performance, because there are less items to render)
b) Under V-Ray render settings, increase Global switches->Max transp. levels (default value is 50). Sometimes may be necessary to modify Secondary rays bias also.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 01:04:05 PM by Paul Roberts »

For those who stumble upon this problem via Google: what you were probably was looking for is the option "work with transparency" from the VrayDirt Material which is also responsible for the black splotches you get in your rendering where the iToo grass is being masked.
"work with transparency" is still in the VrayDirt, but it's now called "ignore invisible objects".

« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 12:16:49 PM by AVARCH »

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2022, 12:10:18 PM »
Solved by email.