Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Feature Request - Linked Area Splines/ Defined Name property retention  (Read 2501 times)

Nommatic

Hey guys,

Thanks for the great tutorials and help as usual. I'm developing up the concepts demonstrated in the raised planter tutorials for some in house templates for a fully procedural planter and forest system. We typically need our planting to be very organised and neat for our images and the system Paul showed in your livestream on YT recently of multiple areas/ size of geo using the falloff stepped method works great for what we need. In the interest of keeping things as streamlined as possible for other users in the office I was setting up presets that had most of these parameters defined and generally just the include falloff distance needed controlling and the base splines used swapping out. I was wondering if there was a way to link all the area splines together so that only one needed updating rather than the four I'm typically using (base, small, medium, large) and also a way to not automatically rename the Area Name property to the name of the spline? Maybe like RC where custom parameters edited from an object linked to a master style retain if a user has edited them? We have a custom naming convention that is too long a string to be useful in RC/FP so I trim to the end for legibility and in this current setup all are using the same spline, so when making a new planter I have to rename the areas again, possibly making it confusing for others who might pick up a project if someone hasn't renamed the areas properly afterwards? I've attached a screengrab of the current setup to illustrate. One last question is if using RC as a surface in FP, does it still break the instancing engine and thus the need to link the Z position with a controller given how high poly these objects tend to be? As I can get it working with simple boxes but not with the meshes with just the RC surface linked.

For anyone else YT ref: ASK iTOO  May 7th @21:35 though the whole thing is a good watch :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0D0-tji--0

Using Max 2020 and latest PRO versions of FP/RC. Just had to make a personal account as person with our pro details is away currently.

Thanks in advance for any help :)
Matt
DBOX

Rokas

Re: Feature Request - Linked Area Splines/ Defined Name property retention
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 03:23:27 PM »
Hi. Thanks for suggestions. I have logged them to our system. We will discuss this internally.
Rokas

Nommatic

Re: Feature Request - Linked Area Splines/ Defined Name property retention
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 03:59:22 PM »
Thanks Rokas