Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: How to fight against the high poly  (Read 4987 times)

3com

How to fight against the high poly
« on: February 18, 2019, 07:21:53 PM »
Hello
What I want is to make a tree, that works as an independent object.
At the moment I'm not interested in clearing trees along a spline, that would be ideal, but very expensive in terms of polygons.
I prefer to create a tree, texturize it, export it as x file via 3ds max pluging.
The question is that I would like to be able to reduce the amount of polygons used by the tree in an adequate ratio.
So, is there any tool, option that allows me to decimate / reduce the model to reasonable limits?
I like these trees to include them onto my game map, and check their poly cost for the perfomance sake.
Already I've the animated ones, so I just want static ones.
I has seen the distribution/density might help, anyway I'm talking about when you has tu accomplish all the specific setting and you get your tree,
now on this stage, can I decimate the tree and get a new one with less polys but preserving good quality?
I guess I'll need pro version in order to get so.

Regards

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: How to fight against the high poly
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 10:11:38 AM »
Hi,

No. Forest Pack (Lite or Pro) doesn't include any tool to modify the trees, or reduce the number of polys.
The plugin is a scattering tool to distribute any model, from the Library or custom, but the objects are not modified.

With the new render engines, high poly models are not longer a problem, because they are handled as instances (a single copy of the model is kept in memory).
Of course, if you want to export the distribution to an game engine, that's a different issue.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

3com

Re: How to fight against the high poly
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 09:06:04 PM »
if you want to export the distribution to an game engine, that's a different issue.
Yes, this is just what I want to.
That's the question, game engine like/need as low poly models as posible,.
So yes I can do a quite beautifual super realist forest, but too expensive in polycount, if fact game engine already have vegetation system, is just that something like forest pack may help to design new trees, with the minimum possible polygons quantity because the game perfomance.
I already have in game engine the system to make forest , just need some new an original trees to add to the library.

Ty for feedback :)