Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Max density  (Read 5928 times)

wonderland78

Max density
« on: August 16, 2012, 07:28:29 PM »

Hi,

I have forest pack lite 3.6.0 for 3dsmax 2010 and I keep getting a stubborn 'max density has been reached' error (had it before but it happens on almost all of the forests that come with the autumn scene).

It basically flashes up this warning when I try to change any density setting to the point where it's not really possible to satisfy the error - if that makes sense.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Max density
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 08:05:33 PM »

The density limit is used to avoid creating too many items, and the value is set by the Distribution Map->Max Density (in millions of items).

The default value is pretty high, so if you get the warning but the density at viewport is normal, it may be due to:

1) The items are not visible at viewport because the Display->Max items limit. You can increase it, or render the scene to check the real density.
2) The scattering area is too large (although it should be really huge to reach the density limit)
3) Most of the items are being discarded because the collisions checking (if it is enabled).

In any case, i suggest to use the General->Forest Stats tool. It shows some statatistic about the number total of items at viewport, estimated for rendering or hidden because collisions.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

wonderland78

Re: Max density
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 06:08:11 PM »
Thanks, that helped.

I had to change the default 2m to about 10-30m.

One other problem was that some of the forests were set to 'exclude' rather than 'include' their relevant spline. Which is odd. So my scene was inverted. No idea why that happened.