Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Masks when using Mental Ray Sky  (Read 7980 times)

Jona Vark

Masks when using Mental Ray Sky
« on: September 14, 2007, 02:32:01 AM »
When I use a background map for the mr_Physical_Sky map I get a non transparent mask. It is somewhat transparent but not fully. If I do NOT use a background map the transparency is ok.

Any ideas?

Thanks JOna

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Masks when using Mental Ray Sky
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 05:57:36 PM »
Hi,

We know some problems of Mental Ray with opacity maps, but this issue is very dependent on the MR parameters and lights used in the scene.

If you send us a test scene to support@itoosoft.com, we would check it out.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Jona Vark

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 08:23:02 PM »
THanks..

What I have done in my scene is simply use a single light. The mr_Sun/mr_Sky lighting system.

If you place a forest object so that the trees are in front of the environment map and not geometry it works ok. But placing a background map in the mr_physical_sky background map slot negatively affects the opacity.

If you could try this i would be most appreciative. I will see if I can cull our scene down far enough to send a sample to you but that is all that is required to see the problem.

Jona Vark

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 10:17:12 PM »
Actually.. I know this is most likely not the fault of your product. I was hoping you folks had run across this.

Thanks for the email help also.

ron_ADST

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 02:20:56 PM »
I had the same fault with a different type of tree but I think the solution will be the same.

Don't put the image in the background slot ot the MR-Sky but in the Haze slot. It has to be a black and white map and the output has to be set to about 10. then it works.

See the attachments

jonavark

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 06:19:46 PM »
interrresting!

what does that do?

Do you use another method to get your full color sky back, like a background/environment switcher or something?