It can be done with some manual work:
1) Convert the surface to Editable Poly.
2) Select the horizontal edges and use "Create Shape" to convert them to splines.
3) Create a closed spline for each floor of the terraces.
4) Assign the splines as include Areas (you can attach all splines together as well).
5) Set the Area Boundary Check mode to "Size". In this way, Forest uses the full size of the teapots for the boundary checking, not only the scattering position.
6) Assign the surface in the Surfaces rollout.
You would test the procedure using Forest Lite. The items will not be positioned at the right elevation, but you can see if the distribution is correct for your scene.