Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Mental Ray 2018 Forest Pack UnRealsed Version  (Read 2400 times)

Neokyuubi

Mental Ray 2018 Forest Pack UnRealsed Version
« on: November 15, 2021, 11:43:48 PM »

Hi team,

I received some old projects (max files) that were created 3dsmax 2018 / Mental Ray, and i have to add and modify the environment so my first choice was forest pack which let you convert the forest object into editable poly/mesh when needed and i have to give back the maxfiles in the same 3dsmax version.

So before purchasing anything, after a lot of research i did understand that Mental Ray is no longer supported in forest pack when using 3dsmax 2018, but i stumbled upon this thread : https://forum.itoosoft.com/forest-pro-(*)/mental-ray-2018-forest-pack/

It said that the forest pack plugin can be compiled with Mental Ray support but the plugin will be dependent on Mental Ray existence.
So my question is it possible to have 2 installers ? one that need Mental Ray and on that does not need it ? or it's a dead end and there's no way to have that version ?

Thanks in advance.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Mental Ray 2018 Forest Pack UnRealsed Version
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 03:26:10 PM »
Hi, we continue compiling with Mental Ray for Max 2017 and before, just to provide legacy compatibility. Even the latest Forest version (7.1.2) can use it.

But this is not the case for Max 2018, because Autodesk removed Mental Ray from it. If i remember well, Nvidia provided it as a separate package for some time.
But we never used this optional package. Therefore, there is no way to include support for Mental Ray in Max 2018 or greater.

Anyway, you could use Forest and convert it to standalone objects, using Forest Tools.
There are some limitations (efficiency, number of renderable items, no Forest Color, etc), but it's doable as last resource.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software