Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Automatic Camera Limit to Visibility in XREFs  (Read 4841 times)

Nomattic

Automatic Camera Limit to Visibility in XREFs
« on: January 25, 2019, 11:43:18 AM »
Hi guys,

Was hoping someone would be able to help me determine if this feature works with Forest pack in XREFs?

I could split the forest into chunks so that it's easily togglable per view in the main scene but it's a large area within a masterplan and easier to control a few forest objects and limit visibility automatically based on camera. For now I've merged the forest items into the Master file but obviously slows down and adds weight to the scene, not impossible just trying to make things as buttery smooth as possible  ;D

Any ideas welcome or if it's completely impossible? Maybe it does at rendertime but I can't see the effect working when moving between cameras in the master file currently so wasn't sure if it was actively working?

Cheers,
Matt

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Automatic Camera Limit to Visibility in XREFs
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 09:04:34 AM »
Hi, regarding XRefs, there is not difference between Forest Lite and Pro.

In both plugins, Camera Limit should work fine if the Forest Object is stored in a XRef scene, or imported as a XRef Object.
Just turn on Camera->Assign to Active view. This is specially necessary when Forest in a XRef scene, because there is no way to modify the "Camera" parameter manually.

Alternatively, you can keep all Forest object in the main scene, and move only the geometry (Custom Objects) to XRefs.
In this way the scene is lightweigth, and it's easier to modify the Forests. There is not any performance hit using this approach.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Nomattic

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 12:20:04 PM »
Hey Carlos,

Thank you for your reply,

Perfect, for reference we have forest pro in the office, I just didn't have my account details to hand but good to hear works fine in both.

I was using the assign to active view with the xref but wasn't seeing the forest adjusting to suit as I do when having it locally in the scene. Is this just a visual hitch to xrefs and it's still affecting it at render time or have I maybe set it up wrong?

Cheers

Rokas

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 01:23:52 PM »
As mentioned above- I would highly recommend having Forest Object in main scene. and only xref geometry items themselves.
Rokas

Adam86

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 09:31:27 AM »
I'm about to give this a try, the only thing I have in my render scene is cameras and lighting the rest is Xref'd into this scene - this is because it is much faster to submit batch cameras to Deadline or Backburner - the more stuff in the scene the slower it is to submitting to manager.

I want my grass that is one of the sub scenes to only be visible to camera when active, are you saying this would or would not work?