Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: How can I make the width of falloff area varied ?  (Read 1849 times)

cc8boy

• I'll do my best.Welcome to www.c7design.cn .
    • C7design
How can I make the width of falloff area varied ?
« on: December 18, 2014, 11:30:10 AM »
Hi developers of iToosoft,
I was scattering lots of leaves on the edge of my street.
I used the "inverse curve" trick in my density falloff tab. I want more leaves near the edge of my street and less leaves away from my edge of the street.
But the value of the include spinner and exclude spinner are constant. How can I make the width of falloff area varied ? (Some parts of the area are narrow and some parts of the area are more wide)

max2012 64bit and forest 4.2.4
We are working hard in virtual effects in 3DSMAX. Welcome to our website in China.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: How can I make the width of falloff area varied ?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 12:40:19 PM »
Hi,

For these purposes I would suggest you to modify the Distribution Map used. There are several ways how to archive that effect mentioned in this post (like adding some procedural noise to your Distribution Map). Hope you'll find these tips useful.

Kind regards,

cc8boy

• C7design
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 01:08:09 PM »
Thanks for the answer.
I've already thought about using the map to controller the width. But I thought there might be a simple way to controll the variation of the width just now.
OK, I'll try the map.
I know the VrayDistanceTex is not work in Forest Pro Pack. But it works in Multiscatter.
Would the VrayDistanceTex works in the future release of Forest Pro Pack ?
We are working hard in virtual effects in 3DSMAX. Welcome to our website in China.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 03:28:39 PM »
Hi,

Actually, the VRayDistanceTex is already supported by Forest Pack as you can see on attached screenshots. If you are facing any troubles with it, please double check you have the proper Map Channel selected.

Kind regards,

cc8boy

• C7design
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 01:27:57 AM »
Hi developers of iToosoft,
I tried to use the VraydistanceTEX in Forest pro pack as you said before. But it seems the grayscale of VraydistanceTEX map didn’t affect the density of the grass objects at all.
And I must keep the position of the forest object in origin of world space. Otherwise the forest didn’t match the VraydistanceTEX map on the surface. If I group the forest object, sample objects, surface objects and vraydistance objects to one group and move the group. The forest will not match the VraydistanceTEX map on the surface at all.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 10:56:31 AM »
Hi,

Well, actually the Distribution Map evaluates for each position if the item is placed or not. In case of grayscale or color maps the Threshold value defines how these values are converted to black/white. Than the Density Falloff effect could be controlled under Areas tab.

Regarding the VRayDistanceTex map "alignment issue":

You're right. To work properly, the Forest object's gizmo should be located in the centre of 3ds Max's World coordinates. We'll see, what we can do in this case. Thanks for your feedback.

Best regards,