Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Forest corrupting max scene  (Read 2348 times)

TP4705

Forest corrupting max scene
« on: February 25, 2016, 10:54:23 AM »
I am fighting with a crashing 3dsmax scene that loads fine without forest pack 5 (beta) used. But when I add the basic trees, scene becomes corrupted.
Even merging elements to a new, clean scene clearly shows that forest is the problem (merging forest modifier creates similar crash). There is some error sometimes saying error in index.dat or something like that. I am an experienced user of both 3dsmax and FPP. What is worse, the problem started after I rendered some sample frames and I was already starting the final render. Then max file became corupt, as well as any backup files that contain FPP entity. I dont remember changing my PC configuration or reinstalling plugins, whatever. Scene isn't that much complicated, I've done much harder before.

To be honest, I am done here. I wasted two days of finding solution, adding items step by step, cleaning scene and looking for troublemaking objects and so on.
Is there any place where I could upload it and some of you guys could take a look on this corruption?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Forest corrupting max scene
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 11:31:05 AM »
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about this issue. The only report of something like this I can find is in this thread: http://forum.itoosoft.com/index.php?topic=3043.15

Please feel free to send us the file to support@itoosoft.com via wetransfer or another file sharing service and we'll take a look as a matter of urgency.

Thanks!

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

TP4705

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 01:18:53 PM »
Okay, thanks for rapid reply.
First I will send just the corrupt max file, can't archive it with textures via max archive because I can't open it. I will just attach two most important textures. But I am not sure: do you have 3dsmax2016 and octane render (most recent), but renderer isn't the matter here, I presume. Anyways there will be bunch of warnings of missing stuff, because I also use thinkbox stoke, so I wonder if you will be able to open it at all.

TP4705

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 01:34:25 PM »
It seems partly very similar to the link you mentioned above. There is a talk about distribution map issue (but then it goes to gui).

Anyways, distribution map is also attached, because I use custom texture to distribute textures. It is a large tiff, you will see it in the wetransfer pack. It is uploading. Should be there within 45 minutes or so.

The strangest thing is it worked like charm and after one regular save just started being corrupt, as well as all backup files containing frost.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 01:59:32 PM »
OK thanks. I'll check the files as soon as it arrives.
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 06:34:38 PM »
Hi,

I'm happy to say we've been able to solve the issue. There's an Octane greyscale image map used in the Material > Get Color from Map slot.

Unfortunately Octane maps are not "thread safe" and can't be used with Forest's multi-threaded operations, hence the crash. We'll report the issue to Octane but in the mean time you can either set the Generator > Threads value to 0 which is not very efficient, or simply use a standard Max map in this slot. This shouldn't cause a problem even with Octane.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further issues or questions.

Many thanks!

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

TP4705

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 08:02:29 PM »
Great, but how did you manage to know this? And is there any way to open my scene again? It was ready for final render, so getting it back repaired would be great.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 10:17:48 AM »
Hi, I must confess this was not my discovery, Carlos was able to open the file by deleting the Octane plugins before opening. I managed to merge in the just the Forest Pack object, remove the map and then merge it with the other elements into a new file. You'd have to update the render settings but it should have all your objects and materials. I'm sending it back to you via wetransfer now.

I hope that helps, thanks.

Paul
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:06:56 PM by Paul Roberts »
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

TP4705

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 01:52:03 PM »
The scene you gave me back worked. The thing is back in render. Great job, fast and great support, guys there.