Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Reverse Instanciate  (Read 1556 times)

in3des

Reverse Instanciate
« on: February 09, 2016, 10:03:26 AM »
Hi,
Is it possible to make a tool doing reverse of instanciate tool? At least as manual mode and hand picked surface.
I found some scenes (Archexteriors) and they are extremely not good for editing - tons and tons proxies. And landscape cannot be edited, otherwise all plants are misplaced.

Thx.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Reverse Instanciate
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 10:31:53 AM »
Hi,

For these purposes I would suggest you to use the Creation Tools under Tree Editor in Custom Edit mode by choosing Reference Objects. It's kind of such feature. For more details please feel free to check our the "To create items on reference geometry" part of our on-line reference guide.

Best regards,

in3des

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 11:44:39 AM »
Ok, thanks! I will give it a try.

in3des

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 11:06:53 AM »
Hi
Any way to fix this?
I'm not sure forest can catch reference objects scale. Please see screenshot (created forest is on the left side, original proxies - on the right).

in3des

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 11:11:32 AM »
more or less ok if I put global scale =25%
but it also looks like not all materials were properly taken from original proxy objects - see those saturated green bushes
I double checked - it's same material as proxy, but for some reason it renders differently through forest
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 11:17:27 AM by in3des »

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 03:11:33 PM »
Hi,

It looks like a "system units" issue of used surface or models. First I would suggest to apply the Reset XForm utility on your surface. This will "reset" it's local coordinates / scale and should fix that issue. Then please try to recreate the Forest object. To avoid similar problems, specially while using imported surface(s), it's handy to double check this way, there is no coordinates / scale problem with the surface mesh.

If that doesn't help (the surfaces has correct scale), please double check measurements of used models.

Regarding the brightness / saturation issue - the lightning seems to be different overall. Might be, you've changed the Color mapping settings or so?

Best regards,

in3des

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 05:22:42 PM »
Hi,
No color settings were touched so I have no idea why it's rendering differently. (see right pic, old proxies + new forest)
Regarding scale - you were right, surface had scale =284%. After Reset Xform new forest is better but still no same scale as original proxies. Now scale is completely off, I tried 100/284=35%, and 50% and plants still too small, 60% looks ok.
Is it possible so forest reads original names and try match generated plants respectively?  So in each location every forest generated plant and reference proxy = same.
Thx.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 05:28:18 PM by in3des »

in3des

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 11:39:35 AM »
Hi Michal,
Any updates for my case?
Attaching the cleanup scene with proxies and new forest. Maybe this can help.

Thx

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/PxEr/afG77gfq7

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 01:31:06 PM »
Hi,

Is it possible so forest reads original names and try match generated plants respectively?  So in each location every forest generated plant and reference proxy = same.

A recommendable work-flow for this purposes would be to have an individual Forest object for each of species. For example by using the Select Similar tool you can easily select all instances of the same object and than use those to create a Forest object using those as Reference Objects.

it's same material as proxy, but for some reason it renders differently through forest

Thanks for provided scene. For example, in case of the Allamanda model, proxies have a slightly different material assigned than the corresponding Forest item (there is an additional Color Correction map, or using different values). Might be, there are more differences like this. I would suggest you to double check assigned materials.

Upon our tests with your scene, if you assign to those items the same material, it renders fine and there is no difference between Forest items and instanced proxies.

Best regards,

in3des

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 02:02:13 PM »
Thanks for quick help! :)

and what about the scale? no way to fix it, manual tuning only?

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 04:11:04 PM »
Hi,

Sorry to didn't mention that previously. It's related to the fact you're using as Custom Objects directly these VRayProxy objects. In case of proxies, its "size" depends on the Display mode selected (bounding box, preview from file (edges), preview from file (faces), point) and the item's scale will be more or less precise depending on geometry shown in that selected mode.

To match perfectly Forest items with Reference Objects scale, the easiest way would be to Import as mesh the proxy object used as Custom Object.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

in3des

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 12:17:04 PM »
thank you! all problems solved! :)