Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: A new error. No clue what it means...  (Read 6953 times)

LR1243

A new error. No clue what it means...
« on: August 14, 2009, 05:47:29 PM »
PHEN 0.3 error: (forest) locating instance fmr_0000000029F2D590 |Instance (Mesh00)

But it's always a different number set each render. Any Ideas how to fix this? It was working fine one day then the next I cant get a render out.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: A new error. No clue what it means...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 06:45:01 PM »
This is an internal error of the shader for Mental Ray. Theorically, it must never happen.

What type of objects are you using as trees: billboards, meshes, proxies... ? What version of Forest and Max have you installed ?

To fix this problem as soon as possible, please send us a copy of the scene. If the file is too big to email it, i can give you a link to our FTP server.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 06:51:57 PM by Itoo »
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 08:10:39 PM »

We just found and solved this bug. The fix will be included in the next patch:

- Mental Ray was triggering an error "locating instance fmr_..." if current layer was hidden. Fixed

As workaround, be sure that the current layer before rendering is visible and rendereable.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

NCViz

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 09:27:42 PM »
I am receiving this same error with version 3.6.2

I have two forest objects.  One represents a forest before a roadway widening project.  The other represents the same forest after construction.  I created the proposed forest and saved the settings as a preset.  I then created the existing forest and applied the preset.  I can hide the existing forest and the proposed will render.  I can unhide both and they will render.  If I hide the proposed and render the existing, I get the error.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 09:44:38 PM »

It don't seem to fail using two basic Forest objects, probably there are other factors involved.

Please, try to reproduce the problem in a stripped scene (removing all non-essential objects), and send it to us.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

jonavark

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 11:31:32 PM »
I always get this error when I have cloned forest objects and then hidden them. I have to recreate the objects manually to resolve it. If that helps any.

NCViz

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 01:47:25 PM »
I did first see this error after trying to clone the forest and swap out the spline.  I then tried creating it and transfering the settings using the preset.  I do not remember having this issue in previouts versions.  My file archive is too large to attach here.  What is the best way to send it?

Thanks.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 06:19:32 PM »

You can upload the scene yo our FTP. I just sent you an email with the username and password.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

jonavark

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 04:04:51 AM »
Hmm I thought I had a workaround for this one but tonight I loaded the last scene I had set up and indeed, if I hide any of the 7 forest objects  I have in the scene I get the same Mental Ray error.  

However, if I hide all of them I don't get the MR error. Some reference between them still.
UPDATE: Ok... I now recall how I got around this here, perhaps it is a different problem.

I have each of my 7 Forest objects in their own layer. If I hide any of the layers I get the MR error. If I leave the layers unhidden I can hide the forest objects normally and I don't get the Mental Ray error.

I hope that helps in your debugging.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 04:13:09 AM by jonavark »

NCViz

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 04:40:44 PM »
I uploaded the files.

Thanks jonavark.  That workaround worked for me as well.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 05:02:58 PM »

You are right Jonavark. The trick was in the layers:

- The bug happens when two o more Forest objects share a same Custom Object, and some of the Forest are in a hidden layer.

We will fix it for the next patch. Thanks for your help.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

jonavark

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 05:19:22 PM »
That makes sense. Glad you got a fix on it. For the moment I think I can script hiding for my passes. I look forward to your next build.