Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Trees flying or clipped in render, viewport preview is fine  (Read 1341 times)

thefox

Trees flying or clipped in render, viewport preview is fine
« on: November 26, 2015, 07:36:36 PM »
I'm stuck with some annoying problem: some trees are flying in the air in the render... :/

In the viewport everything looks fine, the z-placement of trees is correct.

The forest object is taking a set of trees put into a forest object and saved as a seperate Max file - made up as a custom library. Imported as Xref.

The trees contain point caches for animation, strangely in that seperate Max file the bounding box is displayed only on the upper part of the tree, the trunk is extending from the bounding box.
Just to mention if that has anything to do with it.
I've been given those trees and am not too familiar with animation, point caches and setting those things up with forestpack.

The attachment shows the original scene which has been used in the custom library.
The viewport snapshot shows the strange bounding box of trees and a part of a surface with FP.
It shows only one kind of a tree here, completely visible as point cloud.
The render shows this tree as only the upper half, the lower part gets clipped away.
With all trees used in the FP object, some trees are visible completely, some are clipped, seems like it does not depend on that strange bounding box "error".

So if there's some reason why this may happen or what I may miss in my description of the problem I'd be really happy to know :)

(There's no light in the scene, sorry for the overbright perspective render ;) )

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Trees flying or clipped in render, viewport preview is fine
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 09:38:03 AM »
Hi,

It's hard to say just from provided screenshots where the problem could be - it might be related to use of Groups. Let me mention, that groups are supported, but for a different feature: to create clusters of objects that must be scattered together (e.g. clumps of grass and flowers). In this case, each item is handled as an independent item.

All objects which must be handled as an unique entity (as trees), all group objects have to be attached in a unique mesh.

Anyway, would you mind to send us your scene through WeTransfer to support@itoosoft.com to analyse it here? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

thefox

Re: Trees flying or clipped in render, viewport preview is fine
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 01:20:48 PM »
Hi Michal,

thanks, a stripped version is on the way.
Btw sorry, sent to MichaEl ;)

Yeah, the images and the description could have been anything and nothing - probably more confusing, too.
Wrote that after some time spent on finding the reason without success. :/

Hope you can shed some light.

Regards
Niko