Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Add ForestSets to Library  (Read 838 times)

SeanRedmond

Add ForestSets to Library
« on: May 27, 2023, 05:44:04 AM »
Hello,

I'm wondering if this is possible and if not is there any plan to make it possible? I think this would be a very helpful feature especially for those of us with large libraries from megascans/graswald. Thanks!

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Add ForestSets to Library
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 08:45:03 AM »
Hi,

I'm working actually on that for the next Forest update.
I could implement support for ForestLOD in the Library, but ForestSet is resulting more problematic, due to some limitations in the Max importing process. I will try to find some workaround.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

SeanRedmond

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 08:31:19 PM »
Hi,

I'm working actually on that for the next Forest update.
I could implement support for ForestLOD in the Library, but ForestSet is resulting more problematic, due to some limitations in the Max importing process. I will try to find some workaround.

Wow thanks so much that's wonderful to hear. Looking forward to it!! :)

SeanRedmond

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 07:02:26 PM »
Wow that was fast. Thanks so much :D

SeanRedmond

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 08:39:30 PM »
EDIT: It seems the forest sets aren't working properly if they're in a forestpack object added to the library. I tried using them on preset FP setups but it cant find the ForestSet objects, just the forestset itself. Thanks!!

Sean

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 09:57:17 AM »
Hi Sean,

I’ve done some tests with the latest release and basic setups with the Forest Set these seem to work just fine. Would you mind describing your Forest Set & preset set-up more in detail? Might be, that you are using the “From Layers” feature? Let me mention, that just geometric objects are supported at the moment.

Best regards,

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 12:32:24 PM »
Are you using ForestSet with layers, and creating the library item with "Import Objects from Scene" ?

If so, this specific combination doesn't work. I mean, Forest can load presets using ForestSet (also with layers), but "Import Objects from Scene" cannot save automatically the objects from the ForestSet layer.
Currently, you must save these objects manually in the library scene.

By the way, when loading an item using ForestSet+layers, the objects are moved from the layer to "forest_templates", and referenced directly in the ForestSet (the layer structure is not preserved).
We had to introduce this limitation because the importing process is a bit tricky.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

SeanRedmond

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2023, 04:37:24 PM »
Hmm, this is interesting- I'm not using forestset from layers, I'm using them as direct object references. Here is my workflow-

1. Raw geometry assets are saved per file on our drive (in a separate folder than the FP library thumbnails and xml files). ForestSet objects are saved in each assets file as well, and the assets are directly added to the forestset object.

2. in the library, everything is imported with import objects from 3ds max files, and the forestset objects are selected. then if i load this forestset into an FP object, everything seems to work just fine.

3. I add another folder in the library for preset forestpack setups, and try and use the forestset objects from the library to populate these. The forestpack object works just fine in the scene, but once i save it to the library and try and reload, it only loads the forestset object and doesnt get the embedded objects inside of it: "warning: can't find object in the source scene". I thought this was due to the unique layer renaming but when i turned that off it just hard crashed instead on loading.

Thanks and I hope that explains a bit better!

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2023, 10:02:47 AM »
Thanks for the explanation.

Probably you used 'XRef' mode to import Sets from the Library in steps 1,2.
I tested that mode, but unfortunately it creates nested XRef references, which cannot be imported correctly by the Library.

Please, try using 'Merge' mode when creating the library items, so all assets are copied in the library scene. That should work fine.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

SeanRedmond

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2023, 07:20:00 PM »
Ah, that was it- thanks a bunch! Works like a charm now.

Cheers,
Sean