Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: contoured topography grass forest constrained to area... possible?  (Read 2659 times)

OC1287

I noticed it is not possible to constrain forests to certain areas when applied to a contoured surface. What would be the best way to put grass just on the topography that is circled? (It is contoured)

Thanks,

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: contoured topography grass forest constrained to area... possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 12:34:01 PM »
You must turn off the "Surfaces Area" in the Areas rollout (this area is used to scatter items along the full terrain). Then, create a spline to define the region you like, and assign it as a "Spline Area".

http://www.itoosoft.com/forestpack/reference/refarea.php
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

OC1287

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 08:53:37 PM »
Yes but then the grass will lie in a horizontal plane and not along the topography correct? I obviously want my grass on the ground. The grass in the autumn park tutorial is on little hills, how was that done?

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 09:26:12 PM »
No, the grass will be properly aligned with the surface. It works always there is some terrain object asigned in the "Surfaces" rollout.

The "Surfaces Area" is used only to define the full terrain as scattering area (without splines or other elements), but doesn't affect the way that other areas use the surface.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:30:56 PM by iToo »
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

JS4753

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 02:32:53 PM »
Hey everyone,

I have a problem with the splines and topography too. When I create a forest using a spline (created from an editable polygone), the create forest has the shape of a straight plane istead of using the topography. The topography is only correct, when I use the surface area to create a forest but I need the spline for creating clean edges. What am I doing wrong? :-\

Greetings

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »
You must assign the surface to the Surfaces rollout. This is necessary in order to place the items along the terrain, regardless you use an Spline area or not. Please, try this:

1) Assign the surface object in the Surfaces rollout
2) Create the Spline area in the Areas rollout.
3) In the Areas rollout, select the "Surfaces area", and turn it off.

Depending if you have created the Forest object picking a spline or the surface, the "Surfaces area" item is on or off, but you can change it at any time. Usually it must be off when using splines, if not Forest creates items on both areas (stacking them), so the effect of the spline is not visible.

I suggest you complete the Tree-Lined canal tutorial. It describes the basic concepts of areas and surfaces.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

JS4753

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 06:47:06 PM »
Hey,

thank you for your fast answer, working fine now  ;D Already watching^^