Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: All Forest Objects disappear.  (Read 1458 times)

jburt56

All Forest Objects disappear.
« on: February 24, 2023, 04:39:19 PM »
Ive been working and building 5 different forest sets.  I apply them around my scene and they render just fine. Then all of a sudden as Im working and doing test renderings not making any changes to the forest objects, all forest objects will disappear and only show little orange crosses in their place.  The rendering will stop after about 30 seconds into processing and the progress bar just disappears.  I can no longer render at all, I cant see the forest objects in my viewport, and I cannot do an undo.  I have to open a backup file.  Its now been 2 days of this happening and I cannot figure out what is going on or what is causing it, It seams to just happen randomly. 

The weird thing is, I cant select the forest object with a click in the viewport I have to hit H and select through scene explorer in 3ds max.  Then If I copy it into another version of 3ds max.  It works again, shows up and renders perfectly.   But obviously copying my entire file into a new max file 10 times a day isn't a reasonable workflow.  ;) 

Any help would be great!

Im in the newest version of Forest Pack.  3ds max 2023, and Vray 6.

jburt56

Re: All Forest Objects disappear.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2023, 06:00:41 PM »
Ok Ive been recording every rendering and I finally got it.  Here is a recording of the issue happening.  Its been working fine and then all of a sudden all the forest objects disappear and it wont render. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G1KSgUv3nkjs2EKGkWEV9b0wEwjYLNtR/view?usp=sharing

Copy and paste this link and it should let you download the screen record of the issue happening. 

jburt56

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 07:10:35 PM »
installing the new update from yesterday fixed it! 

Beyerman

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 07:19:29 AM »
Are you still having this problem?  I've just upgraded from 6 to 8.2? (latest download) and I am having this same problem.  I can work with the forest object until I render the scene.  The forest disappears from the viewport.  It is still there, but I can't see it.  Have to reopen the scene after every render to edit the forest.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 08:37:25 AM »
Are you still having this problem?  I've just upgraded from 6 to 8.2? (latest download) and I am having this same problem.  I can work with the forest object until I render the scene.  The forest disappears from the viewport.  It is still there, but I can't see it.  Have to reopen the scene after every render to edit the forest.

What render engine and Max version do you use ?

If possible, please send us a simplificated scene to check it.

Thanks,
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Beyerman

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2023, 01:19:04 PM »
I am using max 2023.3, FP8.2, vray 6 hotfix 3.    vray 6.1 is not loading up large animated proxy files so I had to revert back to 6.0
Im using a 12900 and a Geforce 3080 Boxx machine.
I've been talking to Michal K. over email regarding this issue.  This seems to be happened in new scenes as well as my old ones and on different computers.  The forest will disappear after render.  It is still there but I have to detach a tree or xref it in and reload the xref to get the trees to redraw.
My prior setup that worked fine was max 2021, Vray 5 and FP 6.3.1

Beyerman

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2023, 01:47:18 PM »
after various test scenarios, I have tracked my particular problem to the "distributed rendering - use local host" checkbox...

It only happens during distributed render which I use a lot.  I generally do not "use local host" as I don't like to give up my processor while I render.  If "use local host" is unchecked, the forest will disappear and not redraw upon render completion.  If I then render the scene again with "use local host" on, the forest will then redraw when the render finishes.  So it is that particular function causing the problem.  I came across this by rendering a test scene locally with no distributed and it did fine.  It also fixes my main scene and forests as well.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2023, 08:56:46 AM »
Thanks for the information. We'll try to reproduce the problem here, using same settings.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software