Forest Pack > Forest Pro (*)

Another vote for scattering vdbs / vray volume grids

(1/3) > >>

joconnell:
Heya folks!

I've done a lot of cloudscapes in clarisse over the years as it was fast to render volumetrics and didn't have memory issues. Chaos has fixed instancing of vdbs in vray next / 5 and so it'd be great if forest had support for the volume grid. My work around is going to be meshing vdbs, scattering with forest and then swapping to instances and replacing those with vdbs. It's a slow workflow though, do you think it'd be possible to support the bounding box of the volume grid for scatters?

Cheers!

John

Paul Roberts:
Hi John,

We'll take a look at this and see what can be done. In the meantime you can already select and scatter VDBs with Forest Pack (no need to mesh them first), but they won't render until you Instantiate them using Forest Tools. Not sure if that's any help for your situation.

Cheers,

Paul

joconnell:
Hmm, I did a quick check with a vray volume grid and the vray 5 beta build of forest, I'll do another check though!

Paul Roberts:
I should add that it won't look like it works, Forest can't read the mesh so there's nothing to display, but when you instantiate it, they are there.

Cheers,

Paul

joconnell:
Oh lovely!

Do you think it'd be possible to query the bounding box of the grid so we get some kind of idea how the scatter is behaving with the display set to box mode?

Thanks Paul!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version