Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Applying Colour Tint to a FPP Preset Lawn type ??  (Read 1625 times)

TM3598

Applying Colour Tint to a FPP Preset Lawn type ??
« on: September 24, 2014, 08:52:46 AM »
Hi,

I've been having serious problems with getting my grass to look realistic.....

I now understand what the Material Tint does and how it works, but where I am confused is why it works in a seemingly haphazard way (sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't).

For information, I have applied OPTIMIZE MATERIALS......

For example, I use a Lawn Preset - and Tint doesn't work (on the Modify Panel....)

Do I need to go into the Material Editor and apply it there ??

Your Tutorial shows a Swirl being applied to a field of grass - I'd love to know how to do that.......

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Applying Colour Tint to a FPP Preset Lawn type ??
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 09:30:43 AM »
Hi,
In order to apply tint always it's necessary to use Forest Color in the material. Some of our tutorials use Optimize Materials, but also can be assigned manually.

From here, you can specify the tint options in two ways: in the "Material" rollout of the Forest object, or directly in Forest Material enabling the "Override" checkbox. The first method applies the settings globally to all instances of Forest Material used by the object, and the second only the specified texture.

This would be the procedure to apply a map as tint:

1) Assign Forest Material to the diffuse slot of your material.
2) Turn on Tint->Override.
3) Set "Random Strength" to 100%-100%, or lower values for a subtle tint effect.
4) Set "Get Color from Map", and assign the swirl texture to the map slot just below.
5) Set "As texture on Surface".
6) Be sure you have a Surface assigned in Forest, since the UV coordinates are taken from it.

You can find a sample scene in the following post. I hope that helps.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

TM3598

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 09:48:04 AM »
Hi,

I thought that if I take a FPP Grass Preset Lawn, it has materials assigned to it which already have Forest Color ?

But anyway (sorry, I'm actually working on my project right now so can't test that), but if I click on Optimize, then doesn't it then convert my materials to Forest Color anyway ??

Anyway......

My grass (the materials were done by FPP) has the material "forest_automat_3B9A2A60" which is a multi-subobject with 18 sub materials.....

So to change the FIELD of grass to have swirls.... I have to do what ?  I have to forget the Material Tab in the Forest Object and go and play in all those sub materials ??

Your step 1 is confusing because I am using a Lawn Preset and would have no idea which sub object material to change (sorry I'm panicking here) - when working in this sort of mode, I get very lost.....

Please tell me which Material Diffuse slot for my 18 subobjects I need to assign a Forest Color to ??  (by the way most of those 18 subobjects are VRay2sided and already have Forest Color automatically assisgned to them).

PS - this seems very extreme all to add a big swirl in my field ??

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 11:10:10 AM »
The procedure listed above is the most simple use of Forest Color, using a single instance of the texture. But it may be a bit complex when applied to presets, because those use multiple custom objects and textures. In fact, FPP presets already include their own settings of Forest Color, with multiple variations of textures, tint and so.

As instance, "Common Grass 01" uses three different patches of grass, although all of them with the same multi-sub material (_fp_grass). You should adjust all instances of Forest Material in "_fp_grass-a" and "_fp_grass-b".
By the way: not modify the auto-material assigned to Forest, always gets the materials assigned in Geometry->Material. It's safer.

PS - this seems very extreme all to add a big swirl in my field ??

In this case i encourage you try several simpler tests before trying to modify the FPP presets. We are mixing probably the most complex features of Forest here, so it's necessary to understand very well all Forest concepts before.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software