Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Leaf Color Clusters with Forest color. Fall trees.  (Read 1193 times)

SB3663

Leaf Color Clusters with Forest color. Fall trees.
« on: September 24, 2016, 04:06:46 AM »
Hello,

Currently in Colorado the trees are Mostly Green, with clusters or patches of leaves turning yellow. My question, Is there a way to use forest color to get "clustered" leaf colors. If so how could I also implement a falloff to blend the cluster?  Currently I can ad in the percent of yellow leaves but they are distributed randomly, very use full but not quite hitting the mark.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Leaf Color Clusters with Forest color. Fall trees.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 10:41:39 AM »
Hi,

I would suggest you to mask these "clusters" with a Noise map in the World XYZ Coordinatates Source mode. There are many ways how to apply it - like directly to the Diffuse map slot of used material, within a Composite map (as a Layer map / a Mask) and so on.

A recommendable set-up would be to use it as a Mask to blend two Forest Color maps (for example one with the Tint Override feature enabled), as this way you'll have possibility to add slight additional tone variation also for each leave. Attaching a sample scene. Hope you'll find it useful.

Best regards,

SB3663

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 03:01:17 AM »
This technique worked perfectly. Adjusting the contrast and the size of the noise created plenty of variations. Thanks so much!

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 10:15:36 AM »
Nice. Glad to see, that it helped.