Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Autocad link in max 2016 loses connection on reload  (Read 2136 times)

DM5847

Autocad link in max 2016 loses connection on reload
« on: December 20, 2016, 03:40:23 PM »
Hi,

We have used a certain workmethod for a few years now; we model in autocad and link the dwg into max. This enables us to quickly create iterations in autocad and relink the file in max which updates everything.

However this week we moved from MAX2014 to MAX2016 (clean install on my new pc) and now all the FP and RC connections (aswell as floorgenerator) loses their connections on reload. And it isn't just the connection that is lost, but Max keeps the original layer and adds a new one from the relink. For example layer: "FP_trees" gets a duplicate after reloading whereby the original is registered in the file (in the layers its visible) but it isn't actually present in 3d space. It's like RC/FP keeps the link to the old layer (polyline) present in the max file and doesn't recognise it needs to update to the new layer. Thereby creating a duplicate. Trying to render just crashes max.

Not sure if this is an issue with FP/RC or something in Max2016 but hopefully someone has a solution as I really can't lose x amount of time everytime we have a cad iteration...

Seems to be an issue with 2014 going to 2016. Used our max template (which was created in 2014) which was resaved to 2016 and then loaded the new dwg into it. Guess it doesn't like that....
A completely clean max 2016 file doens't show the same issues.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 03:58:38 PM by DM5847 »

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Autocad link in max 2016 loses connection on reload
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 05:12:56 PM »
Hi,

This sounds like an issue with changes in the way in which 3DS Max handles Autocad interop. especially if other spline based tools are also having issues. I will report this to our developers to see if there is anything we can do at our end to alleviate the issue. It's interesting though that a 2016 file doesn't have the same problems.

Does it work if you merge your template into a new 2016 file instead of resaving it?

Thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

DM5847

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 09:47:30 PM »
Hi Paul,

Ran some more tests.

Merging seemed to keep the errors. Atleast trying to re-connect the FP's and RC's was a bit hit and miss.

With a completely clean, emtpy max16 file some of the issues are resolved. FP seemed fine again, except for the xref unit message but that is another issue.
However one remains as far as I could test;

When using a dwg link some RC models didn't work. For example when connecting to a line (polyline in autocad) the concrete curb would give a "no geometry" error. Same for one of the pavements (didn't test the others so might be the whole batch). But using the same line was fine for a RC fence. Cloning the line to make it part of the max file didn't help, but drawing a new spline in max worked fine again.

As you mentioned seems like there is something going wrong with 3DS Max' connection to autocad which is then influencing different aspects of plugins and Max itself. I could only test a couple of aspects as I have a deadline and had to move on and do other stuff.

If this isn't cleared up soon I think we will go back to try 2015....Which I'm hesitant to do as the even numbers are usually the stable max versions!

Thanks,

Dean
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 09:51:10 PM by DM5847 »

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 10:53:03 AM »
Hi,

If you wouldn't mind uploading one of the problematic Spline I can take a look. It could be that something about the line disagrees with that particular style, for example some styles use conditional statements based on the type of spline section (line/curve) or vertex type.

Thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

DM5847

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 08:07:49 PM »
Hi Paul,

Been swamped the past few days. Will try to get the file to you asap.

Thanks!

Dean

DM5847

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 10:24:33 AM »
Hi Paul,

Below the downloadlink for the files. I also tried to save the cad file as a 2010 version but that didn't make any difference. Currently its a 2013 version.

In the file you will find 3 cad splines/polylines and a max spline. the open splines both have the same RC object connected, however the dwg one gives a no geometry error. This error doesn't happen for all the presets, I tried a couple of fences and they worked fine. But paving and gutters gave the error.

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/d059851c023eaaaaeecb83ab963b2fe720161223092001/e66554bfe6ea4092257015aaac22880620161223092001/02ae36

Thanks!

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 11:49:39 AM »
Hi Dean,

Thanks for provided scene. This style uses Spine's Material IDs to assign different types of kerb (ID 1 normal kerb, ID 2 drop kerb).

As linked spline has actually the ID 41 assigned (attaching screen-shot), no geometry is generated. To fix it, I would suggest you to add an Edit Spline modifier and reassign the Material ID correctly (to ID 1 / ID 2 where needed). Hope that helps.

Best regards,

DM5847

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 03:23:13 PM »
Hi Michal,

Thanks!

Do you guys have any idea why the original generates the ID 41? This happens from a clean dwg to max link. Is this something in max or cad that I could possibly set-up? I'll check to see if there are any options in the import link window in max.

regards,

Dean

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 05:20:29 PM »
Hi Dean,

Well, I'm not an AutoCAD expert, but upon my experience, in case of importing splines from a .dwg file, its Color is used for generating the 3ds max Material ID. If you want to avoid the Edit Spline modifier step - assigning the Red color to such spline (layer) should result in ID 1 / Yellow as ID2 (as the Red color should be indexed 1 (Yellow 2) in AutoCAD). Hope that helps.

Best regars,