Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Backburner Network Render issue  (Read 6590 times)

vislaw

Backburner Network Render issue
« on: August 02, 2010, 09:30:27 PM »
I read the Render Farm install notes and carefully set up my machines by doing an install with the installer on each box and then made sure my Max project directory was consistent for each machine. Nevertheless, I'm getting some frames rendered without trees. What is confounding is that I checked the render monitor on each server and whenever I looked they were all making trees. Obviously, there are occasions when one or more server is dropping the trees. So far I haven't identified the culprit(s). I would sure like to avoid this in the future. ANy thoughts as to what may be going wrong?

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Backburner Network Render issue
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 09:50:21 PM »

It's difficult to say why it's happening. A common issue is that some slave node cannot find the plugin files (as the shader for Mental Ray or the dll's for VRay), but in this case the failing nodes never render the trees. So, by your problem description the plugin seems to be installed correctly.

What renderer are you using ? Do you use proxies, and where are them stored ?

If you can, please post a failed framed, to see if we can get some useful info.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

vislaw

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 04:58:31 AM »
Hey, thanks so much for the response. I am using Mental Ray without proxies for this project. I am sending the project to an on-line render farm cause I have to get it done. When I come up for air I will get some frames and look carefully at the install.

Say, one question that may be stupid, but I noticed that the 64-bit install put the iToo maps in the X86programs directory instead of the 64-bit programs path. I assume that's normal?

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 01:16:49 PM »

Say, one question that may be stupid, but I noticed that the 64-bit install put the iToo maps in the X86programs directory instead of the 64-bit programs path. I assume that's normal?

Yes, it's normal. Although the plugin is 64-bit, the executable tools (as the license manager) are 32-bit, so the installer copies all files in the x86 folder.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 06:20:28 PM »

What Max version are you using ? Other user just reported a similar issue, i want to know if both problems are related.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

vislaw

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 01:30:09 AM »
Hi. We're using Max 2010 with Mental Ray as the renderer.

WE did another re-install of all the slave machines and it helped quite a bit, although we will still occasionally get flickering of some trees. We are using the mrSun/Sky daylight system for light.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 12:02:44 PM »

The flickering is a different issue. It may be caused by many varying factors. Please, see this post which includes useful information:

http://www.itoosoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=555.0

However, if you get some consecutive frames with flickering, please send them to us to identify the problem.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 07:42:22 PM »

Hi, i have important news:

We have been working in some test scenes, and we just found a bug in the Mental Ray shader. The "Prevent Self-Shadow" feature was not working wel. This could potentially create flickering shadow issues as well.

We have prepared an emergency patch to fix this problem. To install it, open the attached file and copy the file FShader3.dll for your Max version to:

<maxdir>\mentalray\shaders_autoload\shaders (Max 2010 and older)
<maxdir>\mentalimages\shaders_autoload\mentalray\shaders (Max 2011)

This must be done for all workstations and render nodes. Please, tell me if this fixes your flickering issues.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software