Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Xref Object Material Override  (Read 2569 times)

DT

Xref Object Material Override
« on: February 28, 2017, 01:34:14 PM »
Dear Itoo,

when using an xref object with an xref material applied and I override the xref material from the object and apply some changes , the changes aren't propagated to the forest pack material, no matter what I do. Even when using a new forest pack object, Forest Pack doesn't use the overridden Xref material. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong. I don't like to change the forest pack material, because when this object is used in multiple FP objects I have to start changing all of them.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Xref Object Material Override
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 03:25:13 PM »
Hi!

When you pick an object from the scene the material applied to that object is applied automatically to the Material Override slot in the Forest Pack geometry rollout.

This is to make it easier to find and edit at a later date and is particularly useful when importing geometry from our libraries.

The downside of this is that if you subsequently replace the material on the source object this does not change the material in this map slot.

The easiest solution is to clear Override Material map slot so that Forest Pack is forced to use whatever the material applied to the source geometry.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Many Thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

DT

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 03:40:07 PM »
Hi Paul I did all that, even removed the object and re-added it. But I think there might be a problem with Xref materials where the Override Material option is enabled. The changes applied there aren't pushed to the FP object.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 04:34:42 PM by VIZIOEN »

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 09:45:18 AM »
Hi,

Are you using the Library Browser to import these items? As mentioned in following "Modify material from library" tightly related post on our forum:

"... while importing objects by using the Library Browser interface, even by using the 3D Objects creation - XRef to library option, a material is created in the scene & assigned to imported item within the Forest object.

If you're interested in using a referenced material, please use the 3ds max's - References - XRef Objects interface to get the XRef Material type linked to your "Custom Object". This way any changes will be reflected."

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

DT

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 03:38:16 PM »
Hi Michael,

No I'm using my own Xref objects. I changed the Xref material in the scene by Enabling the Override Material option. But changes applied to this material, aren't reflected. It's like the Forest Pack object ignores these and only takes the original Xref Material. See attached image.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 05:19:28 PM »
Hi,

Big thanks for all additional info provided. I've been doing some additional tests with the XRef Material having the Override Material option enabled and it seems to be ignored. Our main developers will have a look at it. Meanwhile, please assign "manually" the material used by the Override Material feature to the corresponding Forest item(s).

Best regards,

DT

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 02:00:59 PM »
Great, good to hear. Thanks.