Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: FP Scale  (Read 1292 times)

iCreateLtd

FP Scale
« on: October 20, 2015, 03:39:04 PM »
Hi all.

I'm working in Max scene with display and system units set to metres.

I just tried to add grass to an object.  It wouldn't render.  For some reason I had to use a global scale of 10,000.

Does anyone know why?

Thanks,

Sean

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: FP Scale
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 04:36:30 PM »
Hi Sean,

I suppose it's happening when a surface is used to generate the Forest object. I would suggest you to check that geometry scale (most probably isn't set to 100%) - you might find handy to apply the Reset XForm utility over it and recreate the Forest object. That should fix it.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

iCreateLtd

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 05:36:57 PM »
Yeah, that's what I thought.  The objects were brought in separately as objs because  FP wouldn't work on the FBX we imported into Max. 

Anyway, I've reset the xForms and it's still doing it.  However, another set of objects we're using with FP for bushes is working fine witha  100 global scale. 

Anway, setting it to 6500 scale for the grass seems to be working though.

Going back to the first sentance......  We are transitioning from Maya to Max.  Do you know why FP doesn't work on some FBX geometry?

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 09:35:08 AM »
Hi Sean,

Please double check you have the System Units Setup in 3ds Max set to centimetres (as Maya works in centimeters).

As mentioned on Autodesk's website:

"3ds Max has two unit settings, System and Display, that can create conflicts when you try to exchange data between 3ds Max and MotionBuilder, Maya, or Revit.

If they are set differently (for example, inches and centimeters), the 3ds Max System and Display units settings do not create issues as long as you are only working within 3ds Max. However, MotionBuilder and Maya use centimeters, and Revit uses feet/meters, so conversions might occur each time an FBX file is moved between those programs.

Generally in 3ds Max, changing the System Unit Setup is discouraged as it can create confusion. But for the purposes of file exchange and interoperability, altering 3ds Max System Units is necessary as FBX files do not take 3ds Max Display units into account. Consult the following sections for a detailed explanation of the scaling problem."

Best regards,