Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Network rendering via Backburner issues  (Read 2266 times)

UT2135

Network rendering via Backburner issues
« on: June 27, 2016, 10:57:18 AM »
Hi all

I am having issues setting up my render slaves.  I am using Vray 3.30.05, 3Dsmax 2016, ForestPro 5.0.5 and Backburner for distribution.  Locally everything renders fine, however when I send to the render nodes after loading in bitmaps etc a render fails the moment it begins calculating light cache.  Backburner gives back the attached error (see image).  On the network I installed Forest Pack 5.0.5 and a Render Slave and included HQ plants but I can't seem to get around this error.  I have in the past used older versions of Vray and Forest Pack fine on this same network so I am a little confused what I have missed since updating, if someone could steer me in the right direction that would be great!

Paul

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Network rendering via Backburner issues
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 11:23:31 AM »
Hi Paul,

Unfortunately, that's a very generic error message.

I would suggest to do a quick test using Forest Tools and export all scattered geometry to instances. You can find it under Utilities - More ... - Forest Tools. For more information about it, please check our on-line reference guide. This way you can check that the problem happens during Forest object conversion or not.

What's the result of such test? Meanwhile we'll do some additional testing on such configuration too. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Best regards,

UT2135

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 12:09:49 PM »
Hi Michal

So I did as you mentioned.  I made a simple scene of some grass on a  plane (same render settings Vray etc) sent it to backburner and it errored out. I then ran Forest Tools and exported out the same patch, sent it to backburner and it rendered through all fine.  Unfortunately this process wouldn't really be feasible with the size of what I am working on.

I am running the uninstaller and re-installing again now to double check I installed it correctly, but I am a little baffled how I could have done that wrong!

UT2135

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 12:25:26 PM »
The problem still persists after re-installation of Forest Pack  >:(

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 12:28:59 PM »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for all additional info and sorry to hear you're still facing those troubles. Are you able to reproduce these troubles by using the network rendering too or just with distributed rendering (DR)? As far as I know, there are several DR related fixes in the V-Ray 3.30.05.

Please double check that you did install on all your render nodes the same release of Forest Pack. When installing our plug-in, please double check you are not running any 3ds max or related (like the V-Ray Spawner) service during the installation process. Aldo please double check you have the latest Autodesk 3ds Max 2016 Service Pack 3 applied.

Best regards,

UT2135

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 12:52:27 PM »
Hi Michal

The problem exists when network rendering, I haven't actually tried to distribute rendering that was my mistake in how I phrased my original message (sorry!).  I am just double checking sp3 is installed on both my machine and network and will make sure nothing runs when I re-install FP 5.0.5 on the network.  I'll let you know how it goes.

UT2135

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 01:56:16 PM »
Hi Michal

So as it happens SP3 wasn't installed so I made sure to do it and update.  I then closed down everything uninstalled Forest Pack and re-installed 5.0.5 on the network (this is the same version as my local one) and re-sent.  Unfortunately the problem still persists and it crashes on a network render as soon as it finishes loading in bitmaps (start of light cache).

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 03:11:15 PM »
Hi,

Would you mind to try the latest Forest Pro 5.0.7 beta (you can download it from the User Panel - Beta versions)? There's a solved bug related with incorrect license handling on render nodes, which might be related. If that helps, we can prepare a custom patch for your 3ds max version (2016), if you'll prefer the use the Forest Pack Pro 5.0.5.

Best regards,

UT2135

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 03:42:02 PM »
Thanks Michal, for whatever reason this has proven to be a success! Thank you for your help.