Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: BUG REPORT - 3ds max 2018 Save selected Forest Pack bug  (Read 5134 times)

JK1258

BUG REPORT - 3ds max 2018 Save selected Forest Pack bug
« on: November 20, 2017, 12:21:03 PM »
Hello,

We have just switched from 3ds max 2016 to 2018 in our studio. Every day we have to save selected some  forest pack opbjects to merge them to a different scene. In 2016 it works just fine. I just select one  forest pack, then save selected and boom - i have a new scene with all elements that makes up FP. In 3ds 2018 it just saves FP objects, surfaces and lines, but no base objects. In RC it gets embedded and it is fine, but in FP it just does not work until i select manually all objects. But this is not possible if i use some objects that are on forest pack layer, because it is frozen. After unfreezezing it, it gets frozen while saving. So right now i can't copy paste FP.

Best regards,
Mike.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: BUG REPORT - 3ds max 2018 Save selected Forest Pack bug
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 12:33:19 PM »
Hi Mike,

You should have the Select Influences option marked. Generally, we suggest you use a slightly different workflow - Merge wanted objects into a newly created scene. This way you can easily double check that you are merging all Forest object components just by selecting desired Forest object(s). By having Display Influences and Select Influences selected in Merge window this will bring to your new scene also objects needed to rebuild the Forest object.

Also, the Forest object can be referenced (as XRef Object / XRef Scene). In case you're using the XRef Object, I would suggest you have both Display Influences and Select Influences selected in the XRef Merge window (as this will bring to your new scene also all objects needed to rebuild the Forest object).

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

JK1258

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 07:15:54 PM »
Hello Michal,

So is this a max issue or forest issue? 3ds 2016 it just saved influences. Now we have to open old scene, check the name of FP, in new scene make file/merge/find FP on the list. In 2016 we clicked ctrl+shift+c to save selected and in new scene ctrl+shift+v to merge it. This 2018 is rubbish. Rubbish with fluids.
Should i report this "feature" to autodesk as a bug? I am getting sick of this software. Make itoo for cinema and i will migrate.

Best regards,
Michal.

FC1888

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 12:50:51 PM »
I often ask myself, why so many upgrade to the latest version of Max, when the version they have its working just fine. I will continue to use my version until the plugins are not longer supported, only then will I consider an upgrade. but at my age and after giving 2018 a try at a friends studio, I doubt I will ever want it on my system. Yes there is the scene compatibility issue, when someone creates a scene in a newer Max and I have to get them to save it in my version or send me an FBX, but that is rare. and being Freelance, I am rarely ask to share work with others working on the project as I am the only one. I work in Arch Viz and basically al I need is the CAD, floor plans, elevations etc and I model virtually everything required. So I stick with what works, until such time as it doesn't