Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: BUG REPORT - 3ds max 2019 Save selected Forest Pack / RailClone bug  (Read 4539 times)

JK1258

Hello,

We are still using 3ds max 2016. Today we decided to install and try 3ds max 2019. Every day we have to save selected some  forest pack objects to merge them to a different scene. In 2016 it works just fine. I just select one forest pack, then save selected via script + shortcut and boom - i have a new scene with all elements that makes up FP. In 3ds 2018 it just saves FP objects, surfaces and lines, but no base objects. In 2019 is saves the names of all geometry objects, but no objects, it saves all the areas names, but no splines are in the new scene and it saves only the first surface on the list, the rest are marked as deleted. Railclone saves the segments (as a geometry in the scene, not the -embedded- type)but not the splines.
File/merge is not a solution since 90%+ of our geometry is FP or RC. This one particular bug makes max 2018 and 2019 useless. Oh, i tried to report this bug to Autodesk and they did nothing about it.
Or maybe someone knows how to saveNodes but with all the influences? That way i could add it to copy paste script.

Best Regards, mike

Rokas

Re: BUG REPORT - 3ds max 2019 Save selected Forest Pack / RailClone bug
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 02:27:07 PM »
Situation as You described seems like a bug from autodesk.

I want to bring to Your attention that there is a feature select dependencies from ForestPack / RailClone quad menu.

Rokas

JK1258

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 04:00:49 PM »
It is nice but it does not work with mutiple FP and there are two buttons for RC one for segment, and one for splines.
Also in FP it adds the dependencies and in RC it replaces the selection.

So it does not fix my problem.
I wrote to Autodesk with a question how to make saveNode to save dependecies like 3ds max 2016.

Best regards,
Mike.

RealViz

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 11:14:01 AM »
I try Merge from original (full) scene. If I check "Select Influences" then select one or more FP object its Merge all objects that dependent to this FP.
I test it in Max 2018.

JK1258

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 09:19:09 AM »
Hi Rokas,

SaveNodes/save selected saves linked objects and path constrained objects while only the target object is selected.
In the first post i explained what exactly is not saves in FP/RC under 3ds max 2018/2019. Other influences are saved.
So the problem may be inside FP/RC itself. For 3ds max they are not linked to splines/objects in any way and thus they are not saved.
But they are linked when merging from the list.

I have mailed the same information to Autodesk Technical Support.
I don't want to blame anyone. I just want my copy/paste script to work like in 3ds max 2016.

Best regards,
Mike.

PS: RealViz, copying and pasting is a very important part of our workflow. Merging from a list in 2019 when in 2016 i can use a script to rapidly move FP/RC is just not effective. I want max 2019 because it has 2xfaster viewport and can select more objects without a crash. 2017,2018 were usless because of this copy/paste problem and much, much more so didn't even bother to use it. We made few jobs in 2018 and it was infuriating every day. We used max 9 than 2012 than 2016. All other versions were buggy as hell. 2019 may be our next version. Without copy paste we won't even try to work on it.

JK1258

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 01:22:46 PM »
Hello Itoo Team,

I got information from autodesk that in forest pack lite the dependendecies are saved just fine and they suggest that the error is on the itoo side.

Mike.

Rokas

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 01:39:08 PM »
Can You describe fully how to reproduce this bug?
It would be best if You attache a misbehaving scene, and script You are using that causes issues.
Rokas

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 04:41:32 PM »
Hello Mike,

I got information from autodesk that in forest pack lite the dependendecies are saved just fine and they suggest that the error is on the itoo side.

I must add that both FP Lite and Pro use the same system for dependant objects, and there are not differences in our code between Max versions.
Objects are linked using the standard Max mechanism for this.

As Rokas said, it will help if you can indicate us how to reproduce the issue. As far as i remember, it has not been reported for other users either.

Thanks,
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

JK1258

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 01:24:37 PM »
Hello!

I have attached a max file. In max 2016 i can select just the FP object, make save selected and then merge into a new file. It saves all the FP parts. In max 2019 after save selected (with only FP selected) it makes a file with just FP and camera. There is no surface, area or the objects.
The same problem appears while using http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/copy-and-paste-objects or http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/3ds-max-copy-paste-objects-between-scenes

Best regards,
Mike

Rokas

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 10:58:52 AM »
thank You for the file.

Please let me know what I am doing wrong. Seems like I do not get Your result in 3dsmax 2016 to begin with. This the scene I get in Max 2016 after doing Your described steps:

This is the workflow:

And I get the same result in Max 2019 too.
Rokas

JK1258

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 11:57:07 AM »
Hi,

I have been using a script for this so long that i forgot that i don't use saveselected, but savenodes instead.

This is my original bug repoert to autodesk:

Dear support team,

I upgraded to max 2019. Unfortunately in 2019 function file/save selected or in script saveNoded does not save influences of selected objects. In max 2016 it work like a charm, but in 2018 and 2019 it does not. It is a big problem while transferring complicated models. In our workflow we have to save selected and then merge in the new scene objects with their influences. Oddly enough while doing file/merge in new scene i can check select influences and it merges, but it is not a solution. It is a tedious workaround of an annoying bug that makes new 3ds maxes useless to my studio. I tried to find how to make saveNodes function to save the influences but with no success.
Most of our models are ItooSoftware ForestPack and Railclone. I contacted them first and they claim that this is bug in 3ds max software.

So here is my question - how to make saveNodes to save influences or whicht *.ini file i have to change how to make 3ds max to save those influences?

So try this:

Select just FP. click in MAXScript Mini Listener. paste this:
 saveNodes $ "c:\\1.max"

open file c:\\1.max

If saved in max 2016 it has all the elements, in max 2019 it is as empty as with save selected.

The script that we use is in the attachment

Rokas

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 04:43:11 PM »
OK, thank You for clarification. Now is all clear.
I tried to expand on the script.

See attached. I tested briefly and it seems to work. Let me know if You have any issues with it.
Rokas

JK1258

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 07:02:41 PM »
Rokas, it works with RC!
Thank You!
When i have RC inside RC i just have to copy few times and in the end it gets all the parts, and the process works. Maybe i will just duplicate the selection part, so it will work without double clicking.
Is there a possibility to make it also work with RC in the same script?

SaveNodes saves liked objects, paths and anything that is connected with an object. Somehow Max after 2016 thinks that FP/RC elements are not connected. Maybe it is Autodesk's way to force using shitty MCG?

Best Regards,
Mike.

Rokas

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 08:36:50 PM »

Highlighted RC should be FP, right ?I will check nested FP situations.
OK, I will look into RC too.
Rokas

JK1258

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 10:21:54 PM »
Thank You very much!

You are right, it should be FP. I am really tired today, sorry for that.