Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: camera > Limit to visibility in Viewport is unusable  (Read 5410 times)

Dustin

Re: camera > Limit to visibility in Viewport is unusable
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2021, 02:40:57 AM »
I can confirm this issue as well. Viewport should show the result of limit visibility. Seems the latest version has broken this feature.

UPDATE: After rendering my scene once, it now shows the limited visibility.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 04:31:15 AM by Dustin »

Rokas

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2021, 07:38:24 AM »
I think I have not explained one aspect how it works in FP7 - You need to specify which camera You want to target.
You do that by switching to that view (temporarily in same viewport or in another viewport):

Illustration:
Rokas

RealViz

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2021, 08:03:48 AM »
Personally, I also preferred the behaviour in FP6. Now you cannot see the clipping in the active "Top view" interactively when the camera moves. :-(
In addition, when animating cameras, clipping is very good at orienting and giving you an idea of what the camera sees. Now it is no longer possible.

Rokas

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2021, 08:54:01 AM »
Correct. Now You can get top view feedback only when some camera is active and sending those updates:

Rokas

RealViz

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2021, 09:17:44 AM »
Any chance of a solution in the future? Something of "Lock on last camera for virewport"?
Thanks!

grue

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2021, 03:39:13 PM »
I think I have not explained one aspect how it works in FP7 - You need to specify which camera You want to target.
You do that by switching to that view (temporarily in same viewport or in another viewport):

i just update FP yesterday and it seems to be working. at first i covers my entire area, but then i tick-on the "enable on Viewport/IR" option with "cameras and perspec" selected from the drop-down list. my active viewport was the camera view.  so is that what you are saying above? - make the camera view active viewport and then tick that box and choose camera/prespec?

anyway - so you just got rid of the "auto-assign camera" and ability to manually assign a camera?  like others, i've liked how that used to work in older versions.

====================================

edit.

yeah i definitely prefer the old way of auto-assign or manually assign a camera.

1. when i go into IPR rendering with vray, i get all objects showing up in the 4 visible viewports i have, but it does render correctly.
2. if i click in my top viewport, (the IPR is closed at this point) i get all objects visible in the 4 viewports - so i don't know how to get the feedback as shown in previous post.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 04:29:59 PM by grue »

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2021, 11:10:18 AM »
i just update FP yesterday and it seems to be working. at first i covers my entire area, but then i tick-on the "enable on Viewport/IR" option with "cameras and perspec" selected from the drop-down list. my active viewport was the camera view.  so is that what you are saying above? - make the camera view active viewport and then tick that box and choose camera/prespec?

No. The "Enable on Viewport/IR" just defines for what views Forest will use clipping. Usually you want to set "Camera" or "Camera/Viewport".
Once set, when the ACTIVE view is of this type, Forest updates clipping for that view.

For example, if you want to preview clipping for "Camera01":

a) Set "Enable on Viewport/IR" to "Camera" or "Camera/Viewport".
b) Set "Camera01" as active view.
c) Clipping is assigned and updated for "Camera01", and result is displayed in all viewports.

You can modify or animate the camera, but not change the active view. If you swith to "Camera02", clipping is updated for that camera.

anyway - so you just got rid of the "auto-assign camera" and ability to manually assign a camera?  like others, i've liked how that used to work in older versions.

We switched to this method and removed the old "Camera" parameter for several reasons:

a) It was causing a performance hit, because once "Camera" is assigned, any change on the camera object triggers a Forest rebuild, even if clipping or viewport preview is disabled.

b) "Auto assign to active view" was not working well with some render modes. This feature was introduced on the initial Forest versions, but Max (and renderers) changed a lot since then, and it was not reliable anymore.
Now clipping values for render are not taken from the active view or camera (that's used only for viewport preview). It uses a different approach which works perfectly with all render modes.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

grue

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2021, 03:07:24 PM »
thank you thank you... ok so i got it now.  i can set my active viewport to camera, with it set to "cameras" it updates the visibility and now i can go into other viewports and see it even orbit around in those views.  then "camera/perscpec." it updates if you are in perspective view!  kind of cool.  ok so my big thing then is to pretty much not use "all views" and just use "camera" like you said. thanks!

grue

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2021, 06:01:02 PM »
hello.  i regret to say that yes, this limit to visibility is now useless to me in a couple of ways.

1. i use it to determine what is visible or not visible to my camera
2. determine fall off by density and scale
3. determine ultimate fall off
4. determine how many objects are in the forest object using  the forest lister which displays roughly the # of objects - i always see maximum amount

how i use forest pack - i will setup my camera, setup the forest object(s), then use top vieport and/or ortho or perspective views to spin around and make adjustments to distribution object surfaces or splines as well as the above 4 things to optimize for my camera view.  i will also mostly use vray IPR to fine-tune. in any situation now, i rarely get a viewport preview in anything.

i just simply need to be able to preview everything in any or all of my viewports whether i am  using vray IPR or no rendering, or whether the viewports are maximized or in quads.

this is a problem right now on one of 2nd project using the latest version of forest pro. sorry.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2021, 10:01:40 AM »
For viewport, although Forest uses the latest camera selected, i just noticed it doesn't update moving the camera in other view (as top). We'll try to fix it.

According to my tests, Forest Lister and other features work well, but only when Forest is updated. Probably your issue is caused by the limitation described above.
Please, try selecting a camera view and modifying it. Forest should update correctly.

Regarding IPR, if you set render view to a Camera and lock it, Forest uses always that camera, regardless what view is selected on viewport.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

JM2145

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2021, 04:36:49 PM »
+1 on this issue, I find the new method really counterintuative in comparison to FP6.  Most of my Forest Pack work is done in the top viewport.  All you've done is added extra unecessary steps in my opinion for the sake of a performance hit that 99% of us will barely recognise.  If anything FP7 is probably more unresponsive performance wise than FP6.

JM2145

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2021, 04:50:27 PM »
Also it seems as though there's a bit of a bug with orthographic views.  Sometimes the Limit to Visibility resets in the viewport when orbiting an orthographic view, and the only way to bring it back is to go back to camera view, then back into a top view, then orbit into ortho again, but then the same thing may/may not happen again - painful

JM2145

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2021, 05:28:07 PM »
Wow, the more I try to use it the worse it gets, I'm spending most of my time waiting for Interactive Rendering to catch up because it's reset the limit to visibility in the orthographic view.  Sorry guys, deal breaker for me this, rolling back to FP6.  This is the second time I've upgraded to FP7, but back again we go

Dustin

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2021, 05:35:56 PM »
Yes, still not working for me on FP7 and no matter what I do, I cant get it to limit visibility now. It seems like its just getting more broken as the versions progress. I cant tell if its actually limiting the visibility for render anymore. I look for an instance number change when activating it and I dont see a change. This might be why scene compilation takes so long now.

JM2145

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2021, 05:46:11 PM »
Yep it's painfully slow and massively decreasing my productivity today.

Go Into Camera View
Switch to Top View (Limit to Visibility is previewed in the viewport)
Start IR
Limit to Visibility is correct
Orbit to Ortho view (Limit to Visibility is still correct)
Adjust a setting i.e. Global Density Falloff

The entire thing falls to pieces, takes an age to update IR, and when it finally updates, the Limit to Visibility is broken and it's just covered the entire surface again.

It really wasn't broken previously, I know the devs have mentioned why it was changed - performance hits etc, but changes should improve User Experience in my opinion, this has made it worse.  The old method (including performance hits) is more user friendly AND intuative than the current method