Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: 3ds2017 + FP 5.3.0 - Problem with Backburner  (Read 3128 times)

NE4992

3ds2017 + FP 5.3.0 - Problem with Backburner
« on: April 29, 2016, 12:16:56 PM »
Hi,

Since few months we have lots of problem with scenes containing forest objects when rendering with backburner (there's no problem when rendering local or distributed though). As soon as the scene doesn't contain any forest object it renders without any error with backburner.

Here's the error  :
Code: [Select]
ERR Task error: 3dsmax adapter error : Autodesk 3dsMax 17.3 reported error: An unexpected exception has occurred in the network renderer and it is terminating.
3dsmax adapter error : The pipe has been ended.
: 109

We have around 20 nodes in our render farm, what's strange is that when there is a forest object, some nodes won't crash, some will crash for the first 2-3 tries and then render correctly, and some will crash until backburner throw them out of the render job...

I've read a lot about this issue (pipe has been ended : 109) but it doesn't seem to be a specific error and pretty hard to resolve., and lots of people have lots of various solutions, none of which worked for us so far.

It's pretty annoying and seems to be related to forest pack since there's absolutely no errors when there's no forest object in the scene. I can send a file if need be.

I also noticed it tends to crash a lot more when using directly proxy objects instead of poly as forest geometry. But we've used this methods for years without problem...

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 03:26:14 PM by NE4992 »

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: 3ds2015 + FP 5.0.5 - Problem with Backburner
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 12:45:03 PM »
Hi,

Sorry to hear you're facing these problems. If problem appear using the mental ray renderer (if not, please specify renderer used and its release), I would suggest you try an experimental mode, that has been implemented in that version. (*) Added experimental memory management for Mental Ray rendering. It can be enabled by setting MentalRayDirectMode=1 in forestpack.ini. It should be modified on all involved render nodes.

Let me add, that unfortunately the mental ray integration is overall problematic as for example mentioned in this post regarding another topic (an older issue):

"Well, the real problem with Mental Ray is that it is not an Autodesk product either. The engine was originally developed by Mental Images, and recently purchased by NVidia. Unfortunately the integration with Max always was very problematic (and is not very well documented). Probably this is the reason that 80% of our customers use other render engines (V-Ray mainly)."

Unfortunately, there is not much more we can do about it. Our main developers tried many ways to make it work, but as you've reported it continues crashing. Feel free to check another post related to the mental ray renderer issues:

"Regarding Mental Ray, from our data we know that it's barely used by our customers. Most of them use V-Ray, Corona and other renderers. Probably it's not only a technical question, but also the lack of support from Autodesk. Mental Ray is not a bad product, but is poorly integrated with Max, and when a problem arises there is not anyone to ask for help."

Please let us know that's all working fine or you are still facing troubles with it.

Best regards,

NE4992

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 01:22:54 PM »
Thanks for the detailed reply!

I changed the forestpack.ini file on every render nodes, but sadly the problem remains.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 09:47:44 AM »
Hi,

In such case, I would suggest you to set also the disableMRTintByElement=1 - that disables the data blocks used by Forest Color, and might fix it.

Also, please feel free to do a quick test using Forest Tools and export all scattered geometry to instances. You can find it under Utilities - More ... - Forest Tools. For more information about it, check our on-line reference guide. This way you can check that the problem happens during Forest object conversion or not.

Big thanks for your feedback.

Best regards,

NE4992

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 03:25:54 PM »
Hello,

Still got the same issue with Max 2017 and FP 5.3.0

If it can help here's what I have in the log when setting Log level to Debug :

Code: [Select]
2017/05/02 15:11:10 DBG: [01336] [01684] FOREST 5.3.0 NotifyPreRender starts
2017/05/02 15:11:18 WRN: [01336] [01684] MAXScript Garbage Collection Error: An unknown error occurred while MAXScript was performing garbage collection. If you get this error multiple times, recommend restarting max
2017/05/02 15:11:18 ERR: [01336] [01684] An unexpected exception has occurred in the network renderer and it is terminating.

If it can help in some way...

Thanks!

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: 3ds2017 + FP 5.3.0 - Problem with Backburner
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 09:04:59 AM »
There is a Mental Ray update for Max 2017. It would be interesting to install it, and see if something changes:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-install-NVIDIA-mental-ray-3-14-1-4-for-3ds-Max-2017.html

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

NE4992

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 03:01:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply, we'll try it but without much hope... Apparently it only resolves the mr proxy backward compatibility.

EDIT: Same problem after updating MR.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 04:33:52 PM by NE4992 »

NE4992

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 03:13:57 PM »
Also, please feel free to do a quick test using Forest Tools and export all scattered geometry to instances.

Hello,

I've done that and deleted the forest object, the rendering goes just fine this way!

Is there a way with maxscript to only instanciate the selected objects (in custom edit mode) and not all the scattered objects?

Thanks!

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 09:16:38 AM »
Hi, i'm glad you could render it sucessfully.

Is there a way with maxscript to only instanciate the selected objects (in custom edit mode) and not all the scattered objects?

Unfortunately not. Forest Tools only can instanciate the full object, and there is not any mechanism in Maxscript to get the selected iterms.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

NE4992

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 10:45:41 AM »
Ok too bad. Also the instances doesn't have any material, do I make something wrong?
And last question, can I use forest color on objects not scattered by forest anymore ? In my memory forest color have no effect on classic objects...

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 11:31:21 AM »
Hi,
"... can I use forest color on objects not scattered by forest anymore ? In my memory forest color have no effect on classic objects ..."
As mentioned in this "Replace forest color map / instanciate" tightly related post on our forum:

"Well, at present the Forest Color map only works with objects that are a part of a Forest Pack object.

Depending on render engine used, you might find useful V-Ray's VRayMultiSubTex map - using the Random by Node handle mode / Corona's CoronaMultiTex map - the Instance mode or any third-party plug-ins for similar purposes like CG Source's MultiTexture map (free) or VizPark's Crossmap."

Let me add, in some situations you may find useful the ObjectsToForest / InstancesToForest script - to get access to many Forest Pack tools (as Forest Color and others).

Best regards,