Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Color variation / tint controlled by 3d map  (Read 1938 times)

thefox

Color variation / tint controlled by 3d map
« on: October 07, 2014, 05:03:54 PM »
Is it possible to control color tinting with 3d maps?
Like eg. noise is a procedural map in 3d space.

Tha aim in this case is to have clusters of yellowish tinted areas in a green tree - as yellow parts in beginning autumn are not distributed evenly within the tree.

Tining whole trees in a forest is something good- but having more control, maybe not 3d noise controlled tinting but z-axis wise as well (the tip of eg. trees in various colors)

?

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Color variation / tint controlled by 3d map
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 06:27:39 PM »
Yes. I think it can be done, using 3d map alone or combined with Forest Color.

In the attached scene i applied a 3d noise to the leaves. All trees use the same map, but using random rotation there are not noticeable patterns. I also used Forest Color to add some color variation.

Alternatively, it's possible to use several 3d maps, assigning each one of them to the Forest Color maps slots. In this way, each tree will use a different map randomly.

For sure we would get more interesting variations using other combinations. I hope that helps.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

thefox

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 07:01:39 PM »
I'd like to have a look at the scene but I'm actually still on 3DS Design 2013 and cant open the file you presented ;) Would appreciate some compatibility to my (or older) version..

thefox

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 11:45:13 PM »
Well, got it to work.
Somehow not really as some additional color added to the leaf bitmap but only as seperate color.
Works in the case attached, but not in a closeup.

Actually if there is a closeup tree there should be some color tint cluster added to existing texture, like a cluster of yellowish tinted leaves.. (as discribed already)

So if i can get the converted scene I'll have a look at it.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 09:03:11 AM »
Here is the scene for Max 2011.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

thefox

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 10:30:25 AM »
Thanks.

I had a look -  there's still the problem for me that I cant get the noise color to tint the original image (in this case the leaves).
It does only work if the noise map is plugged directly into the forest base material slot.

This is not sufficient to achieve something like this (see below, google image search, rights belong to dreamtime)

BTW, can I control the distribution of different forest material items (like reddish leaves) by some map or is it possible randomly only..?
For the same intention actually - setting up some autumn leaves and scatter them in clusters among bigger clusters of green (and other) leaves.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 10:33:03 AM by thefox »

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 11:53:38 AM »
No, unfortunately it's not possible to use a map to tint leaves in clusters. Although we'll think on that as new feature.

For textured leaves, you would use a Composite map to combine Noise and texture. The attached scene uses this technique. Forest Color is used to generate variations of the greenish color, but it would be duplicated for the reddish color as well.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software