Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: ColorEdge support for area-falloff?  (Read 1770 times)

George

ColorEdge support for area-falloff?
« on: July 10, 2014, 09:24:48 AM »
Way, way back when I was using VRayScatter with GradientEdge, i had a good garden bed setup when the lower/smaller species were closer to the edge of an object (in this case, the planter soil) and larger to the back. As far as I can tell the only way to do that in FP is to use offset splines to control which objects to use where. What I'd really like to see is Itoo's ColorEdge plugin support area falloff (ie. the input is distance-to-area boundary). Is this possible and practical or is there a better approach?

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: ColorEdge support for area-falloff?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 10:05:01 AM »
ColorEdge doesn't work as density map in Forest because it is computed at render time, but scattering process is done in a previous stage. I'm not used GradientEdge... may be it works in a different way.

Anyway, it should not be necessary. In the latest releases, Forest supports area falloff directly from the surface, without requiring a spline as before. Just turn on the "Surfaces Area" and adjust the falloff parameters.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 12:24:24 PM by iToo »
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

George

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 08:21:40 AM »
Carlos would you be able to post that example? I don't quite know the setting you're using to pick ID's based on falloff.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 09:50:37 AM »
Hi George,

The example is done using various Forest objects (one for each "item"). The attached example scene is done by using one of our Lawns presets - for render purposes will be probably better to use some of Meadows presets, but to show the "structure" it'll serve you.

The first Forest object by the surface border uses Invert Curve and the width is controlled by Include value in Falloff - Density. Under Areas - Plants - Select models - Pick uses first item. From the second Forest object towards inside it's always copy of previous Forest object with this added as excluded area - Add Forest object as excluding area (the last one will contain all previous Forest objects as excluding areas). The width of each strip can be controlled by Falloff - Density - Exclude. Also for each Forest object the item under Areas - Plants - Select models - Pick is changed to desired one.

Fell free to check attached scene. Hope it'll help you.

Kind regards,