Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Locking altitude and slope range to certain frame?  (Read 1133 times)

mindmedicine

Locking altitude and slope range to certain frame?
« on: February 01, 2016, 05:44:24 PM »
Hi,

I have to populate the top of  a collapsing rock with some vegetation. This works to a certain point until parts of the rock start rotating when falling. The vegetation starts disappearing when the altitude and/or slope aren't within range anymore.

Right now I have to rayfire-cache my top rock parts. delete all inner polygons and scatter on these with slope- and height-limits off. That works.

But I was wondering, can an option be implemented to lock these settings to a certain frame?

Cheers,
Tim

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Locking altitude and slope range to certain frame?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 10:46:27 AM »
Hi Tim,

There are several work-arounds for similar scenarios. First let me mention, that those limits (Surface - Altitude Range - Top / Bottom & Slope Range - Max / Min) is possible to animate (attaching screen-shot).

Another easy way would be to "To limit the scatter using material IDs" and define by the Material ID(s) faces you wish to use for the distribution.

Also, a very handy option might be in case of complex geometry to use the UV mode.

Best regards,

mindmedicine

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 06:23:13 PM »
Hi Michal,

Thanks for your reply.

Animating the slope and height range was not an option in this case,  since that results in trees suddenly popping up in other unwanted areas.
I did use UV-mode to prevent the scattered objects from sliding around when scatter geometry is moving: that worked well.
The limit by Material IDs however, are sadly not an option when in UV-mode. that's why I had to delete some of the unneeded geometry.

So the question still remains: in future releases: can an option be implemented to lock these settings to a certain frame?

Best regards,
Tim

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 11:10:38 AM »
Hi Tim,

Not sure, how your animation looks like, but it's also possible to bind (Select and Link) the Forest object to that moving surface. That way those limits will remain referenced to its Local coordinates. Attaching screenshots showing differences between linked (on the left side) and default - "World coordinates driven" (on the right side) Forest objects.

Best regards,
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:16:22 AM by Michal Karmazín »