Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Nested System Not Working  (Read 2135 times)

ForgeSouth

Nested System Not Working
« on: July 05, 2018, 05:59:32 PM »
Hi all,

I'm having an issue with the nested Forest items... I have followed the tutorial, and I created a patch of flowers. Then I created a second forest item and added a flower bed as the include spline. When I have the default geometry on, it works fine and there are no issues, but when I select the first forest patch as the geometry, all I get are little helper crosses all over the terrain and not the geometry of the plants from the patch.

I have no idea what the problem is. I have followed the tutorial exactly, distribution is set to full and the falloffs and distances etc... are all ok.

Please help! this is so frustrating!!

Thanks!

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Nested System Not Working
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 08:42:05 AM »
Hi,

Please, send us a simplificated scene and we'll check it.

Thanks,
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

ForgeSouth

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 01:38:17 PM »
Hi!

Many thanks! I actually somehow managed to get it to work on the flowerbeds, so that is fantastic! But I now have a problem with creating layered grass on the terrain. I would like to add it to the whole terrain surface but when I do, and use full density, it is just not dense enough. Then, when I do the cluster nested method, I just get a whole bunch of helper nodes.

Is there a size limit to the terrain for ground cover? Mine is 0.5km x 0.5km and I set max instances to 999 million but it still didn't work.

Will send the simplified scene to you shortly.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 02:59:56 PM »
Hi,

Is it dense enough when you render? The viewport will often display fewer items to ensure that performance is maintained. If you are using presets, also make sure you are using the Large versions that are optimised for filling big areas.

Many thanks,

Paul
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 05:04:42 PM by Paul Roberts »
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

ForgeSouth

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 08:27:47 PM »
Sorry for the late reply, I had a major system crash!!

Thanks for the responses! It appears as though a) Even though the display looked sparse, it was actually dense when rendered. Thanks @Paul

I also found that when I was trying to make dense clusters, I had the instances too close together, causing an error. When I allowed enough space between the spline edge and the instances, everything worked out fine.

Thanks, everyone, really appreciate the support!!