Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Spray painting objects  (Read 1498 times)

thefox

Spray painting objects
« on: October 29, 2014, 02:04:47 PM »
Is it possible somehow to "spraypaint" objects?
Like the tree edit mode but not placing single objects only but a bunch, controlled with radius, amount and such?

E.g. for placing leaves below a tree where some are stacked and some single others are placed more far away?

Or is the only way using a painted map controlling the density with white color on black? Wouldn't be the easiest.. :S

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Spray painting objects
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 02:51:33 PM »
Yes, Forest includes a specific type of area for that: Paint areas. It also provides some benefits over standard painting methods, e.g. Paint areas are parametric and can be converted to splines and back.

You can see some examples of use in the Tree-Lined Canal and Modern Barn tutorials.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

thefox

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 03:54:13 PM »
Yes, thanks, I was aware of that -  actually I was more looking for a method to spray object differently.
To remain in the example of scattered leaves: imagine a spray tool which adds objects with every click.
I click several times under a tree and each click I get more leaves, then I click somewhere around the tree to scatter some more lost leaves..

This is not really possible with the paint area as the distribution remains the same and therefor needs to be controlled with a mask too..

Right?

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 08:53:31 AM »
Ok, i understand. Currently there is not any tool to get that effect, because it should be done in Custom Edit mode. But we'll think on it for next updates.

If that helps, it's easy to modify the density of a Paint area using Area->Distribution Map->Scale and Threshold values.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Shawn Olson

• Wall Worm
    • Wall Worm
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 10:56:38 PM »
For this scenario, you might want to use the Object Paint tool inside the Graphite Modeling Tool of recent versions of Max. This is a versatile method of controlling specific filler detail at desired locations. The drawback is that it isn't parametric.
Shawn Olson
Product Management Team @ Autodesk for 3ds Max
Developer of Wall Worm Tools