Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: deleting forest objects  (Read 925 times)

KD4391

deleting forest objects
« on: February 25, 2023, 12:21:10 AM »
Hi guys

When deleting a forest pack preset with geometry within the geometry list - is it possible to have a fucnti0on to also delete the geometry when you delete the actual forest pack?  if not, this will be a very handy feature.

RealViz

Re: deleting forest objects
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 08:00:27 AM »
The gemotry is deleted after the next save of the 3ds max file.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 01:44:59 PM »
The gemotry is deleted after the next save of the 3ds max file.

That's correct, although cleaning process is triggered only if there is some Forest object in the scene.
If not, you can delete the "forest_template" layer manually, removing all items.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

KD4391

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 11:29:19 PM »
Thanks - is it possible to add a checkbox to the forest pack set up to "delete geometry when deleting this Forest"  - if the geometry is NOT used in other forest packs?
It would be a very handy feature in my large exterior scenes.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 08:45:46 AM »
Thanks - is it possible to add a checkbox to the forest pack set up to "delete geometry when deleting this Forest"  - if the geometry is NOT used in other forest packs?
It would be a very handy feature in my large exterior scenes.

We'll considere it, but i'm not sure if such option would cause undesired side effects.
For example, if we delete the geometry inmediately with the Forest obect, that may affect undo operation if you want to recover it.

Why do you need this option ? Do you load many assets which are not used later ?
Understanding your workflow may help us to implement the best approach.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

KD4391

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 11:41:04 AM »
I try multiple vegetation assets before i get the right look and i often find that i delete the forest packs i dont need after but the scene poly count becomes rather high.  So its at this stage, when the vegetation is right, that i start to 'clean' the scene of unwanted assets to make saving faster.

TD1008

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2023, 04:26:49 AM »
Yes this would be a very useful feature indeed. Please get your team to consider this.

I've been working in the Architectural Visualisation industry for 16 years and throughout these years there have been many projects that could last up to 3-5 years, over that time a scene can get quite large and complex due to design updates/iterations etc.  When you receive a new design model, you may be required to redo the vegetation where'd you'd need to delete the old forest pack vegetation and render new vegetation.  If this is done 5-10 times throughout the project the scene can quickly get bogged down by unused forest pack geometry that does get removed from the scene upon deletion of the forest pack object.

The problem is worsened when using a render farm.  Every time you send a render to a render node, all of the assets, textures etc in the scene gets sent to the render nodes.  If there is a lot of leftover unused forest pack geometry in the scene it can significantly slow this process down.

Please add an option to delete forest pack geometry upon deleting the forest pack object from the scene.  This would be a great feature for all people in the Arch Viz industry. I imagine the best approach would be for Itoo to create a "Forest Cleaner" toolbar button which you can use to purge out unused geometry and materials from the scene.

Thanks,
Tommy

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2023, 08:02:44 AM »
Please add an option to delete forest pack geometry upon deleting the forest pack object from the scene.  This would be a great feature for all people in the Arch Viz industry. I imagine the best approach would be for Itoo to create a "Forest Cleaner" toolbar button which you can use to purge out unused geometry and materials from the scene.

But where do you place your assets ?
If you use the Library Browser, assets are stored in the "forest_templates" layer, and this layer is already cleaned automatically by Forest (when saving scene, or assigning other assets from the library). So this problem should not occur.

Instead, assets stored out of this layer cannot be deleted automatically.
Basically, because once they are not assigned to any Forest object, we have no way to identify them. They could be objects used for any other purpose.

The only way, would be to delete them immediately, once they are unassigned from Forest (as discussed in previous posts). But this approach has several drawbacks, and we prefer to not use it.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software