Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Boundary checking Edge V-ray RT  (Read 3272 times)

SF1710

Boundary checking Edge V-ray RT
« on: March 30, 2016, 09:47:22 PM »
Hi

Quick question. When i tick edge while using Vray-RT as my renderer it says not suported. Is this true, or did i do something wrong? I use 4.4.1 and V-ray 3.3

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Boundary checking Edge V-ray RT
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 10:18:23 AM »
Hi,

I'm afraid there are several limitations to implement features like Forest Color or the Edge Boundary Checking mode for this render engine. The reason is that these features work at render time, and require a custom shader for each renderer (a piece of code which runs directly in the render engine). But V-Ray RT doesn't support any third-party shaders (there is no SDK, so we cannot write code for it).

I would suggest you to use the work-flow shown in the Grass Edges tutorial.

Best regards,

allemyr

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 11:01:40 AM »
Hi!

Since I think I get better result when using Edge mode instead of the other alternative way of doing it with smaller pieces like the tutorial i wonder if Edge mode will be integrated in Vray RT GPU in the near future?

Would ofcourse be super cool! Cause it's a awesome feature, especially with gravel.  :D

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 01:04:48 PM »
Hi,

We're happy to announce, that since the V-Ray 3.5, the Forest Color map is supported by V-Ray RT CPU & V-Ray RT GPU. We're interested in further collaboration with Chaos Group team on the V-Ray RT's support improvements of our plug-ins and it would be really nice to implement the support for the Edge Boundary Checking mode, but unfortunately it's not something feasible in a short time period. Thanks for your comprehension.

Best regadrs,

allemyr

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 12:08:36 PM »
This will be a  awesome feuture when available, really longing for it  8) I understand that the code is very different with Vray GPU. We will see what will be released in future releases  ;D

allemyr

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 01:37:01 PM »
Hi again!

Has any progress been done on making Forest Pack Edge Mode availible for Vray GPU?

I know that the code is totally different but would be very cool to have edge mode for Vray gpu rendering!