Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Forest stopped working  (Read 5291 times)

BG2291

Forest stopped working
« on: March 12, 2018, 08:15:11 PM »
Difficult to say much about this situation as i have not used FP recently, but today i started up Max (2018 update4) and using the most recent version of FP, I cannot do anything at all with FP - If i try to create a FP object Max crashes. If i try to open a scene with FP, max crashes. RailClone is working OK though.
I tried reinstalling FP but did not help. How can i troubleshoot this or just clean out FP ?  I cant reinstall Max (that would take too long / cant afford the down time). thx

BG2291

Re: Forest stopped working
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 08:28:57 PM »
I uninstalled FP again - checked for any remaining DLL files in the Max directory. rebooted, reinstalled & tried again. Now as soon as i click the FP button Max crashes immediately with the default application error (no other information provided by 3dsmax)

BG2291

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 08:53:02 PM »

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 09:45:53 AM »
Hi, this problem has been reported for a couple of customers recently, and seems related with Max 2018 SP4.
Strangely in most of installations the plugin works perfectly (we cannot reproduce it either).

I just sent you a patch by e-mail.
Please try it and tell us if solves the problem. If so, we'll prepare a public Forest update with the fix.

Thanks,
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Ryan

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 01:21:34 PM »
Are there any fixes for this as I am having the same issue as well?

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 02:02:02 PM »
I've attached the patch to this post.
Just unzip it and copy forestpackpro.dlo in the max "plugins" folder, overwriting the existing file.

The patch is only for Max 2018. Please, tell me if it solves the problem.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

BG2291

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 04:04:47 PM »
Not working for me (the new patch). I open Max and then try to open one of your demo scenes (the barge) and Max cannot open the file - it crashes before it can open it.

BG2291

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 04:11:54 PM »
So opening that existing scene (the barge projet downloaded from itoo website) results in 3dsMax going into a premanent freeze - but with your new patch i have been able successfully to create a new file, add some FP content, save the file. close it and reopen it again.

ezmerel2

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 05:02:56 PM »
I also have this exact same issue.
I have noticed Max2018 apparently tries to save the scene when trying to create a FP object. It then crashes.
Using the new dlo file posted here the situation is not solved but a new problem arises. When clicking on create FP object Max will save the file (or at least it says it's saving) then it will stop saving apparently giving the cursor control again, and immediately will start saving again... going on in a loop. Had to force quit Max after 5 min of constant resaving.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 09:55:43 AM »
Ok, then there must be something more which is trigering the problem, because Forest doesn't save the scene in any way.

Please, send us the following information:

- Max version, including service pack.
- A list of all plugins and scripts you have installed.
- A screenshot of the <maxdir>\plugins folder.
- Other screenshot with the content of <maxdir>\scripts\Startup.

If you don't want to post that info here, please send me a private message.

Thanks,
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

ezmerel2

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 11:00:27 AM »
Ok, will do.
I managed to prevent the endless saving loop by unchecking the "backup original files" within the SceneCorverter dialog in Max2018.
This allows me to be able to use FP again with the dlo patch file you provided. I already wrote an email to support explaining this.
Please let me know if you still need me to send additional info.
My current Max version is 2018 with update 4 applied. Only installed plugins are Itoo. Only additional script on startup is a manually created one with the following line of code:
Autosave.BailoutEnabled = false
This prevents long autobackup save times, as suggested by several forums dealing with this issue (saving a more or less complex scene takes around 10seconds, while the autobackup can easily take a minute)
I also have Solidrocks latest version 2.05 installed.

I would definitely like to try out FP Beta 6  (specially because of the new presets) but I am unsure whether this issue may arise again and if the dlo patch may also solve it. What do you suggest? Is it possible to go back to the latest version once Beta 6 is installed? Can presets from the beta be maintained if so?
Thank you for your prompt support.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 12:22:09 PM »
Thanks for the information. I don't know if this issue may be related with the autosave, but that behaviour is suspicious.
We continue doing more tests, but until now we could not reproduce the crash.

The patch is already included in FP 6.0.2 beta, you can use it safely.
Although most of scenes saved with FP6 should load fine in FP5, we cannot guarantee the backward compatibility. Same for the new presets.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software