Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Distribution by texture  (Read 3660 times)

thefox

Distribution by texture
« on: September 21, 2014, 12:51:22 PM »
Hey,

I'm a little confused about this: the placing of objects does not align to the given texture.
I was wondering why the control of translation of objects did not work properly- and this seems to be the solution.
Probably I'm doing something very simple wrong but cant figure what..!

See attachment: noise map in override distribution slot..

?

Rokas

Re: Distribution by texture
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 01:15:33 PM »
Please show us the render not viewport grab.
Rokas

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 04:41:22 PM »
Yes, when using procedural textures the result on viewport may not match with render. If possible, please upload also a test scene.
Thanks,
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

thefox

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 09:12:26 AM »
Hi,

thanks for your reply.

Alright, that was helpful - but its really not good not to be able to preview the scattering in the viewport properly.. why this?

I'll attach the render.
Alongside this one - as it fits the thread title - I'll post another with some strange behavior of controling objects rotation by color / value.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong too... ;) Should result in some circular appearance, all objects facing center- right?

Another question (maybe better another thread?): how to achieve jagged edges in paint area distribution that the objects distribution gets more rough at the edges of an area?
Painting an area by lowering the brush size is a little tedious.
Converting to spline and adding a noise modifier was not really successful too (even with optimizespline mod).
Using a distribution map instead is an option but tedious too- like viewport canvas or a baked or on the fly rendered dirt texture map...

..the test scene is 2,5 mb..

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:15:12 AM by thefox »

thefox

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 09:29:25 AM »
Pf. Same with gradient controlled rotation.
Procedurally not possible?
Not only in viewport but even in render?
This one is with an gradient image from the web, works..
Viewport canvas works too. (Sure, not procedural..)

thefox

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 09:30:16 AM »
..did not upload..

Rokas

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 09:40:13 AM »
Should result in some circular appearance, all objects facing center- right?

Rokas

Rokas

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 09:55:25 AM »

Another question (maybe better another thread?): how to achieve jagged edges in paint area distribution that the objects distribution gets more rough at the edges of an area?
Painting an area by lowering the brush size is a little tedious.

Density fall off is designed just for that, or am I not understanding what You want to do:
Rokas

thefox

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 10:32:25 AM »
Gradient rotation: it does produce strange results when the color gradient is from blue to black and does work properly from black to blue???

I was swapping textures and produced strange results, as I remember there was even the same setup (same texture, kind of, in the same slots) producing different results and once by swapping a texture wich did not work it suddenly did..

Falloff: yes, know about and I love it. But it still remains "smooth" along the original edge. Was imagining something like a gradient range of edge which could be controlled by a texture slot. Like a noise map, or checker, or dirt to have greater control. The edit curve function gives something but is limited.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 10:39:21 AM by thefox »

thefox

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 10:34:40 AM »
Oops. Forgot attachments of rotation issue..

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 12:15:07 PM »
Hi,

Regarding the "Gradient Ramp" map rotation:

The rotation value is calculated from the luminance channel values of applied map - from 0º for 0 (black) to 360ª for 255 (white) - these values are absolute. So, as shown on attached screenshots its behaviour is pretty predictable. By using arrows, you can see, that in case of "inverted map" it's still working on the same logic - going from black colour to white the arrow rotates from 0º to 360º.

Hope this clears the usage of "Rotation Map" in Forest Pack, but in case of any further question or doubt, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

thefox

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 12:25:44 PM »
Not quite yet..

I was assuming its luminance value is represented absolute- as you mention.
So 0 is 0°, 128 gray is 180°, 255 is 360°.

Did not show up properly, only after swapping back and forth- maybe some strange behaviour of MY 3dsmax version...

I dont really get the second image- the orientation of the arrow has been changed by rotating the sub-object / or objects pivot?

The third and fourth I dont get all all.. It's the same "strange" orientation I produced as well- how does this get together with the absolute representation of luminance values?

Well, as I'm german, there is some saying - I'm standing on the hose. Literally. Means no current to my brain obviously.. :D

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 12:47:43 PM »
Hi,

No worries, I should have explained a little bit more what's on images.

First two images are using the same map (Gradient Ramp map) - on the second image, the UVW Map for used surface is rotated by 45º.

The third and fourth images are using the "inverted" version of the original map - so the gradient goes "clockwise" as the absolute angle values for rotation maintain the same logic - rotating from 0º to 360º (using absolute values - "counterclockwise") upon the corresponding luminance value. So, it may look strange, but it's totally correct.

The fourth image is once again the same map just with the UVW mapping is rotated by 45º to show more variations using the same principles.

Best regards,

thefox

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 09:56:34 AM »
Got it. Thanks!

At last, what about the idea of paint a direction?
How would YOU solve that task?

The viewport canvas / or vertex paint is an option (vp canvas preferred in this case) BUT does not give the ability to take the direction the stroke is coming from and where its going to into concideration..

Actually you'd need to paint a gradient value depending on direction- this is not possible by hand- only if the objects (eg. people) look or walk or whatever in only ONE direction - limiting this procedure.

Surprise me :)

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 04:28:05 PM »
Hi,

I'm afraid there is no way to paint colour depending on the "movement direction".

Anyway, it's handy, when using the Vertex Paint, to have a palette with colours corresponding to 0º - 360º angles prepared. These colours could be used to paint the desired direction. As under Brush Options you can adjust the curve and it supports pressure sensitivity, it's relatively easy to get desired results and smooth gradients. Attaching screenshot. Hope you'll find this workflow useful.

Kind regards,