Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Distribution - soft edges/falloff on distribution map  (Read 2223 times)

steve3duk

Distribution - soft edges/falloff on distribution map
« on: October 02, 2018, 08:55:25 PM »
So I have a basic setup using one of the patch maps for distrution. All is good apart from where the patches are...in terms of, the grass around the patches is very clumpy. Is there no way to falloff in scale and increase density so that the grass blends in with the ground more?

Rokas

Re: Distribution - soft edges/falloff on distribution map
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 08:59:58 PM »
Could You please attach a scene as illustration of the setup. That would help to understand what You are trying to do.
Rokas

steve3duk

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 10:01:24 AM »
Here is an attachment to show what I mean. So the grass is using one of the patch distribution textures. The patch is pure black and white and so at the point where the texture turns black the distrution suddenly stops. Is there a way to "feather" this in terms of scale and density?

Rokas

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 11:09:19 AM »
OK, I think I understood now. Great question.

First I would like to note that "Patches 2" map You are using is only for geometry distribution. White pixel means there is random(from the list) geometry item, black pixel - empty space.
I would highly recommend watching this tutorial as it explains distribution maps in great depth.

That means You have to feather scale (not density as it is already chosen in distribution parameters) with some other means. And there many ways to achieve similar effect in ForestPack Pro.
One way could be to copy "Patches 2" bitmap and use it in Scale Map:

After playing with blur, contrast and brightness values You can have parametric solution to Your problem:

As an alternative You can use technique described in this post when using custom bitmap Densities.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 08:16:11 AM by Rokas »
Rokas

steve3duk

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 05:34:34 PM »
Thanks. I'll give this a go :)