Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Duplicate forest objects  (Read 3384 times)

3DG

Duplicate forest objects
« on: August 17, 2015, 06:12:33 PM »
Hi guys,
          is there a way to duplicate (clone) a forest creation to it's side without converting all the instances in heavy meshes?
I have a green geometrical area ("parterre" filled with grass, flowers and so on placed in a specific way), and I need to reproduce them around without changes.

Thanks a lot!

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Duplicate forest objects
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 09:39:40 AM »
Hi,

There are several ways how to deal with it and it'll depend on your scenario, which one would be the best for you.

First I should mention, that in many cases there is no need to place individual Forest object for each area (Spline Area / Surface Area) as multiple areas can be handled within one Forest object.

As for any other 3ds Max's objects, it's possible to Clone (Ctrl & V) - Object Copy it and this way an identical Forest object will be created, in which you can modify Surface / Areas adjustments (or any other settings, if needed).

In case that Forest settings will be applied among several scenes / you want to have a quick & easy access to it, creation of a preset would be very handy. Please feel free to check more about this topic in our "Creating Libraries" tutorial or the "Creating Presets" older one.

Another quick way when copying Forest object from one scene to another would be to Merge wanted Forest object(s) into a newly created scene. This way you can easily double check that you are merging all Forest object components just by selecting desired Forest object(s). By having Display Influences and Select Influences selected in Merge window this will bring to your new scene also objects needed to rebuild the Forest object.

Hope you'll find it useful.

Best regards,

3DG

Re: Duplicate forest objects
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 10:31:02 AM »
Thanks a lot for the lesson! I had success in copying the forest group of objects one-by-one, because when copying multiple groups, I hade some problems about coordinates of the copied stuff: they result placed on the opposite side.
But in any case, it seems I have solved for now.

Thanks again!