Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Fixed rotation increment  (Read 2698 times)

ML1351

Fixed rotation increment
« on: April 13, 2014, 04:07:29 PM »
Hello,

Im trying to create stone pavement, and though it looks ok the way it is now, i was wondering is it possible to do the random z-axis rotation but with fixed 90 degree increment?
So id be able to add more randomness but retain the square grid, and avoid the situation as this one in attachment :).

thx.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Fixed rotation increment
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 04:26:35 PM »
Yes. It can be done using a Rotation Probability Curve, assigning high values near of 0, 90, 180 and 270 degrees, as shown in the image.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

ML1351

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »
Thanks a lot, that was fast :).

iainbanks

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 03:40:02 PM »
Hi, im trying to do the same thing however with slightly different rotations as follows:

I have a mosaic floor pattern in the shape of 6 sided ngons.  When i try to use the probability curve i have to divide it up in 6 rather than 4 so, 0, .166, .333, .5 etc

I have some problems trying to keep each ngon exactly rotated to 60 degrees to match its neighbour ngon.  The closer the points are together in the x axis (rotation probability curve) the more the Ngons match alignment wise but the unique rotation disappears and they all point the same way.  When i space out the x-axis points slightly the 60 degree rotations comes back but the rotation of each ngon is slightly off ie not exact.

How far apart shoud X-axis points be?

Is there an easier way to do this?

Can some additional discreet rotation options be added to FP to make this easier?

Thanks

Iain

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 01:12:40 PM »
Hi Iain,

Though precise tweaking of the Rotation Probability Curve might be tricky in this case, I would suggest you to use a slightly different work-flow for this purpose.

As your item is symmetrical, by rotating just the texture coordinates you'll archive that look also. For these purposes you can quickly set up a Forest Color map using six maps rotated with incrementation of 60º as on attached screenshot.

Anyway, an option would be to create those "precisely rotated items" and add all these six variations to the Geometry list.

Hope you find it useful.

Best regards,
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 01:14:55 PM by Michal Karmazín »