Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Stability  (Read 2056 times)

MN4869

Stability
« on: October 02, 2013, 07:49:55 AM »
I have a large scene - with around 20 forest objects. I'm starting to get crashes. More often when trying to edit a forest paint area. It will crash every time.

I redid this object and it's happening again. I find editing paint areas to be a little tempremental.

I can continue to add spline areas but I dare not touch the paint.

I also occasionally have one or two FPP objects not render on some buckets when DBRing. Not often, but it happens.

All assets are in this scene i.e. no presets. I recal this happening on first install but that was patching issue I think.

I'm using Vray and also GrowFX. My scene is over 100MB + xrefs but all FPP are in this scene.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Stability
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:00:55 AM »
Please, send us the minidump generated by Max on crashing. If you have a scene that we use to reproduce the problem, much better. Sent the files to support@itoosoft.com.

Regarding the DR issue, do you use Batch rendering together DR and camera clipping ? This problem may happen using this combination, this is a known issue. If not, most of times DR problems are caused by a wrong installation of Forest in the slaves (not this case), missing external references (as proxies or textures) or by VRay itself. Really for Forest there is not difference between DR or a local render... VRay handles all the stuff.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

MN4869

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 09:09:25 AM »
I'm not hooked up to the net yet but will organize dump file soon.

Another issue is I'm having to keep hitting update on my forest objects as holes are appearing.

It's as if its not respecting my exclude objects properly.

MN4869

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 09:13:11 AM »
Interesting that the exclusion area that seems to be funky is the FPP object that was causing the crashing.

Do you need my geometry too? Or does FPP save it somehow?

I've had a few tech issues this week. Man I really don't like not having Internet (only on phone)

Thanks for your help.

Edit: I'm not using batch. Just vray, no camera clipping. I guess this will be net rendered at the end but its tricky trying to preview placement without some fairly decent renders.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:15:55 AM by MN4869 »

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 09:27:40 AM »
No, we don't need the geometry, if the crash can be reproduced without them. You can replace custom objects by boxes or something else.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

MN4869

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 12:04:53 PM »
Hi

Regarding the missing Forest objects in some buckets - any idea how I might trouble shoot this? I posted on the vray forum. Is there anything else I can do?

Cheers

Dave

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 12:31:22 PM »
Regarding the missing Forest objects in some buckets - any idea how I might trouble shoot this? I posted on the vray forum. Is there anything else I can do?

If the problem is reproducible at each render, i suggest to simplify the object until you get some change:

1) First, hide non-essential objects and set lower render settings (basically to speed up render tests).
1) Replace the custom object by a simple element (as a teapot).
2) Use a basic material without textures.
3) Etc.

Basically trial and error, simplifying the scene at each step, until you find what is causing the problem.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software