Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Edge Mode Shadows (Mental Ray)  (Read 1235 times)

NCViz

Edge Mode Shadows (Mental Ray)
« on: June 07, 2016, 03:46:45 PM »
I am using the "Wild Grass 01 (large)" preset.  I have used "Optimize Materials" to apply Forest Edge.  The grass is being clipped but the shadows do not look right.  It looks like the clipped grass is still casting a shadow.  Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Edge Mode Shadows (Mental Ray)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 12:53:06 PM »
Hi,

Which Shadows option are your light sources (sun / lights) using? The Shadow Map might produce similar artefacts, but Ray Traced Shadows / Adv. Ray Traced should render fine. Thanks in advance for any additional info and in case the issue persist even with ray-traced shadow types, please feel free to send us your scene. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

NCViz

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 02:21:03 PM »
I am using a Daylight System.  Scene has been emailed.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 10:14:52 AM »
Hi, the Wild preset used in your scene is not the same included with Forest, it has been modified: max file is "_fp_mental_wild_grass_field01.max", which doesn't exist in our library, and the material is a multi-sub with 20 materials, while the library has only 4.

Not sure what is causing the shadows issue, but i tried to reapply the preset from library and it renders correctly. Probably there is some problem with materials.

Please, do this:

1) Delete the Forest object.
2) Delete the objects "_library_5JUPFDQ__fp_wild_grass_01_clump_01", 02 and 03 from the "forest_templates" layer.
3) Create a new Forest, selecting the Wild grass preset from the library, and enable Edge mode.

That should solve the problem.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

NCViz

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 01:26:48 PM »
Thank you.  We keep our libraries on a shared server.  The grass preset library I was using must have been copied from an old version of Forest.