Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Along a Path, uniform/pattern distribution  (Read 3320 times)

LG4255

Along a Path, uniform/pattern distribution
« on: August 15, 2012, 08:22:26 PM »
I use the Tree Editor, Custom, Align geometry along a path with custom spacing often.

One thing I'm not sure if currently possible is, if I add an additional one or two geometry objects (for this example think of the geometry as a cluster of flowers: white, blue, orange)

When I hit generate it seems to place the 3 geometry objects along the path in a random pattern, for example it'll be 2 white, followed by 1 blue followed by 5 orange and then repeats at random.  If I click generate the distribution changes at random, there's really no control of how much of each should be used.

This is a fine use sometimes however it'd be nice to have a check box or option that will allow it to distribute with order/pattern, so that the objects would follow the white, blue, orange and continue to repeat that pattern along the spline.

Is this currently possible and I'm missing something?  Or is this a feature request and I'm posting in the wrong area?

Thanks

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Along a Path, uniform/pattern distribution
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 10:31:55 PM »

Unfortunately it is not possible to create a sequence of items using the path tool, it uses only random values.

I add your suggestion to the wishlist.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Alejandro

• Motiva
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 08:48:50 AM »
As temporal solution, you could attach the 3 objects and use as source

LG4255

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 09:30:51 PM »

Unfortunately it is not possible to create a sequence of items using the path tool, it uses only random values.

I add your suggestion to the wishlist.

Many thanks for taking this into consideration, this small addition/feature would GREATLY improve our workflow.  As I'm doing it now, I will create 3 splines and offset their start and end points a bit and then make sure each forest object has the same spacing value and I can end up getting the pattern I'm looking for, however, when you need to modify the position/shape of the spline, it becomes cumbersome.

Also, it would be nice if the tree editor/align along a path could autoupdate the forest object as the regular one does, as it is now, I need to adjust the spline, then click "create" again in the forest object to see the new result.