Thank you for the information. After I fumbled around a bit yesterday I began to have some success with loading singular plants but not entire libraries. I will try the copy/paste trick using the .xml file. I also noticed my Evermotion library came with .max files that were very generic and did not match the thumbnail .jpegs. When I renamed the .max files I believe iToo could not find and link the files together to become a library item. When I correlated the names such as AM_154_001_Latin name with the thumbnail .jpeg with the same name things worked fine and everything imported properly.
Another interesting note is the max plant files were all singular and were not 'together' as in a max scene file. Also, some plants were not 'attached' and their leaves, branches, trunks were all grouped as separate elements. I found I had to go and attach all elements and re-save the max file before creating a new library item.
When I get through with a planting plan today I will try combining all of the max files into one massive file and see if I can import them all as was referenced in the online tutorial. Eventually I want to create the small vs large patches of plants per south Florida / Caribbean native plant communities, ie, dune / scrub / hammock maritime / pine rocklands / etc...
I am very impressed with spline modeling... It almost feels like cheating after placing individual plants one by one over the years... Thanks again for your help!