Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Forest Pack with VRay IPR rendering  (Read 832 times)

MH4288

Forest Pack with VRay IPR rendering
« on: December 11, 2023, 09:38:35 AM »
Hi,

there is a huge problem with Forest pack. When you try to render with Vray IPR, everything seems ok, I can change camera angle, FP distribution and so on. BUT when I try to change something in material which affect FP, whole max will crash. It is really terrible. Sometime one or two changes are ok, but next material change will crash max for sure. Please fix it, it is really hard to work that way. With Vray 4 and some older FP it was without any problem.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Forest Pack with VRay IPR rendering
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 11:24:30 AM »
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear, you're facing these troubles. I've done some tests using the 3ds max 2024.2 Update, V-Ray 6 Update 2 & FP 8.2.5, but I can't reproduce these troubles here. If that leads to a "3ds max crash" on your configuration, can you please send us the minidump file of the crash? Hopefully, it'll point to the problem source. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 01:42:56 PM by Michal Karmazín »

MH4288

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 04:07:30 PM »
Probably it is happen more with somehow complex scene. When you try this with boxes and spheres it is probably ok :-) When I got time, I start that scene and try it again. Hope it will write minidump.

CharlyRT

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 02:36:03 AM »
Hi there, im also having trouble using Vray in IPR while editing a Forestpack object, first I thought it was some xref object with a corrupted object, but i can reproduce it in a simple scene with a plane and a Layered Lawn Preset, it crash after doing some changes in the material, strange thing its that it didnt happend in another scene, what im trying to do is change color with "get color from map" after some changes it crash, also its impossible to select Forest and RailClone objects during IPR, if selected with lister it takes too long to load it. I cannot attach the file but hopely you can reproduce it

Im using
3ds Max 2024.2
Vray 6.20.03 (latest nightly build 32443)
ForestPack 8.2.5

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 11:05:15 AM »
Could you please send us the minidump file of the crash? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

CharlyRT

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 11:48:27 PM »
Ouch, sorry, I thought that the Dump files were attached:

1 is from the Test Scene I record (Vray IPR Crash)
2 is from the Scene that Im working on (Brick House)

Hope this help

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2024, 08:22:47 AM »
According the minidumps, you're using one of the V-Ray nightly builds (6.20.3.0).
And both crashes seem to happen at VRender2024.dll, which is one of the V-Ray files.

Unfortunately, these files changes daily and i don't know what exact build do you use.
We need to install the same version, to analyze the minidump correctly.

Please, do this:

a) If you need to use the nightly build:

- Download the latest build.
- Take note of the build date, which is displayed in the chaos site.
- Try to reproduce the problem again, and send us an updated minidump.

b) If you prefer to go back to a stable release.

- Download the latest stable version.
- Check if the problem continues. If so, send us a new minidump.

If problems happens in the V-Ray side, we must send the minidumps to them, with this information.

Thanks,
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

CharlyRT

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2024, 01:15:50 AM »
Sorry I only put the Vray nightly build but not the date, well it doesnt matter, I tried again with the latest stable version of 6.2 and also update ForestPack to 8.2.6 and 3ds Max to 24.2.1 and the error still occurs, here is the minidump, hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 02:00:12 AM by RTstudio »

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2024, 11:16:27 AM »
Thanks. We just sent the minidump to ChaosGroup, because latest crash point is on the V-Ray side.
I will post here as soon as we have more information.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2024, 03:34:36 PM »
Chaos team almost identified where is the problem, but they need to reproduce the crash locally.
They tried with a simple scene as you shown in the video, and following exactly your steps, but problem was not reproducible. I must add, i cannot reproduce it here either.

Please, would you send us your scene ? May be there is something different which we are missing.

Thanks.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

CharlyRT

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2024, 04:09:28 PM »
I cannot provide the scene because its heavier than 5 mb  :-\, im using one of the Forestpack grass presets, could it work to get you a link from Drive?
if that doesnt work, as I recall I could reproduce it with single boxes, let me try to do that and send it here, however I have already get it contact with chaos and provide the scene there but, havent received any news from them.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kBPyNmO0XIlxgzQUEjvhGnBPweAwfnqL?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 04:22:17 PM by RTstudio »

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2024, 09:20:25 AM »
I just received a message from our contact in Chaos, they finally could reproduce the problem (it's a random issue).
They logged the defect and will work on that. Hopefully it would be fixed on next V-Ray updates.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

CharlyRT

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2024, 04:39:27 PM »
They have answer me too, thanks for the update  ;).