Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: File size becomes too heavy when creating FPP in the scene  (Read 1926 times)

UG7911

File size becomes too heavy when creating FPP in the scene
« on: March 31, 2016, 01:59:00 PM »
Hi,

I have some questions about the best workflow to have when using FPP.
In fact, i have a problem :

When i have my 3ds max scene without FPP, the file weights 80 mo.
When i put 3 different FFP (grass/ trees / leaves) , the file becomes 970 mo. (i import mesh only with the FPP's librairy / there is not mesh merged in the scene)

A too heavy file makes problem and  3dsMax crashes.

I use xRef scene for projet and context, but not with the FPP objects, should i ?

I tried to make a save select to those FPP objects and after merging them by xRefs scene, it desapers (i open the save selected FPP file, and there is nothing in).

How i can manage many FPP in my scene and keep a light file size ?

My configuration :
FPP 4.3.6
3ds max 2015
i7 5820 k

Thanks for helping ;)

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 02:05:23 PM by UG7911 »

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: File size becomes too heavy when creating FPP in the scene
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 04:08:29 PM »
Hi,

First let me point out, that as mentioned in this "Set to X-ref to library - presets problem" post regarding bundled presets: "... we decided to disable XRef for all presets. But there is a good reason for that: in this way we can modify these presets on Forest updates (i.e. optimize them, update materials, etc), while keeping the compatibility with existing scenes. If not, a same scene would look different depending of the Forest version used.

Anyway you can enable the XRef option easily, editing the index.xml (in the library folder) and setting xref="1" in the first line (it is set to 0 by default). Instead modifying the default libraries, i suggest you create a copy in the User's Libraries branch and edit it. If not, all changes will be overwritten by the Forest updates."

"I tried to make a save select to those FPP objects and after merging them by xRefs scene, it desapers (i open the save selected FPP file, and there is nothing in)."
I would suggest you to use slightly different work-flow - to Merge / XRef Merge wanted objects into a newly created scene. This way you can easily double check that you are merging all Forest object components just by selecting desired Forest object(s). By having Display Influences option selected in the Merge window you'll have better control over objects needed to rebuild the Forest object.

Let me add, that besides of using XRefs, it's possible to use proxy objects. Feel free to check following "Should I use meshes or proxies with Forest in V-Ray?" FAQ entry regarding this topic. Hope you'll find it useful.

Best regards,